How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 10923
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have also discrimination and retaliation issue at Union

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have also discrimination and retaliation issue at Union Pacific Railroad, also I already summited to eeoc, but I thought that eeoc is support to be neutral, but according to eeoc dismissing was take a side on powerful people or lack of full investigation, now my situation was hopeless and helpless, any one to give me advise or help me out, I know that I am really up hill battles...
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am very sorry to hear about your EEOC struggles.

With the conclusion of your EEOC claim, the EEOC should have issued what is commonly referred to as a "right to sue" letter. That letter provides you with the ability to take your next step, which is to initiate a lawsuit in civil court. Take some comfort in knowing that most EEOC claimants are issued right to sue letters and must pursue their claims in civil court. The EEOC only prosecutes cases to judgment in a small fraction of instances, so this is far from the end of the road--really it's just the beginning.

What you now need to do is find an attorney to assist you on a contingency fee basis and sue in civil court. If you don't know, a contingency fee arrangement is one in which the attorney receives a portion of the client's settlement or award as his payment, typically 1/3 of the total amount. If there is no recovery, the attorney does not get paid. The client never pays until the settlement or award is obtained (except perhaps to cover the filing costs for his claim). This is a great way for low income litigants to be able to afford access to the civil justice system.

With your attorney, you will file a lawsuit, and either leverage a settlement of your claims or try the case before a jury to determine liability and damages. To locate an employment law attorney who can assist you in taking these steps, a tremendous resource is the California Employment Lawyers Association. See here to locate a CELA member:

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have right to sue letter, but most lawer don't want to deal with contingency fee arrangement, also as soon as I told my Co., name they don't want to take it.


Thank you so much for your reply. Do not be discouraged if you are rejected by the first few attorneys that you contact. Attorneys have many different reasons for rejecting a case and a few rejections doesn't mean you don't have a viable claim.

Boil down the essence of your claim to a "pitch" that you can deliver over the phone in less than 60 seconds. Give the attorneys a summary of your evidence up front and the reasons why your case is likely to succeed--this will make them more likely to consider investing the time and money necessary to help you. If you are still having trouble locating someone to assist you, then you may want to target younger attorneys, who tend to be a bit little bit less selective when it comes to the cases they accept, since they don't get the same number of calls as do more established attorneys.

Finally, if your damages are not terribly significant, you may wish to file suit in small claims court. You will be limited to recovering no more than $10,000, but the procedure is vastly simplified and you can easily represent yourself. In California small claims court, attorneys are not allowed to appear, and so you would not be "mismatched" against the legal "big guns" of your employer.

For more information on CA cmall claims court, see here:

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns.

Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 10923
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Patrick, Esq. and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Acturally my damages was i will never promoted on those position, as far as I can see on LA base there is no people from my country nor my race, also I am not seeking for money, I am only seeking for my right and my people, most of my people are quiet and hard working so they take advantage of me and my people, but everybody scare to come forward.
Also I was surprise about fedural justiced system eeoc on this case, why they not take secrious????? They just excuse they have ton of work load. Take a side of powerful people or compeny. Or lack of investigation or just doing third party messenger????? Why it that?????
Now I become a silent victim with hopeless and helpless.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation and completely understand why you are frustrated.

I am not sure if your question is intended to be rhetorical, but I confirm for you that the EEOC does receive hundreds of complaints a day and so it is impossible for them to give each case the full attention it deserves.

Again, this does not mean your case has no merit. The appropriate avenue of recourse is the civil justice system. If small claims is not an option for you, then you must sue in general civil court. While you can do so "pro se," meaning unrepresented by legal counsel, it would be extremely wise of you to hire an attorney.

If I may ask, though, you state that you are not seeking money but vindication--if that's the case, then why not just sue in small claims court? That will provide you with vindication, and since money is not your concern, the damages cap should not be an issue. Seems like that may be the best option. Of course, only you can decide what to do.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions