Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Can an employer tell an employee that they are lucky to have

Customer Question

Can an employer tell an employee that they are lucky to have a job after the employee questions a change to the work schedule?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Can you tell me if the employer said anything else, or if you believe the comment was somehow motivated by discrimination due to a protected characteristic (sex, race, gender, national origin, etc.)?

Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.
Hello Laura,

Yes, there is definitely nothing illegal about an employer stating to an employee that he or she is lucky to have a job after the employee questioned the employer about scheduling.

In fact, short of physical threats of violence and comments that demonstrate discrimination based on a protected characteristic, an employer is pretty much free to say anything they wish to an employee, and could say things that are much worse than you're lucky to have a job.

I realize the above information is not what you wanted to hear and I sincerely wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Thanks and best of luck!
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.
Hello Laura,

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions regarding the above information.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!