Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am being laid off by Aug 2013. I worked part time for 25

I am being laid off by Aug 2013. I worked part time for 25 hours per week from 1st June 2012 till to date at the rate of $16 hourly. My question is am I eligible for unemployment.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 1 year ago.

SavyLawyer :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. My name isXXXXX am an employment law professional and I look forward to answering your question this afternoon. So that I can provide accurate information, what state is this in?

Customer:

California

SavyLawyer :

Ok, thank you for the extra information. There is actually a seperate place on the site for California Employment Law questions, so I will have to transfer your question there. Please be patient, and a California Employment Law professional should be with you as soon as someone is available.

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am a California licensed attorney and I am very happy to help you.

You will be pleased to know that part time employment does not preclude an individual from collecting unemployment benefits. The only relevant requirement is that you have sufficient "base period" wages to substantiate a claim. The "base period" is the 4 preceding calendar quarters, and claimants must either have earned $1300 in one quarter of their "base period," or at least $900 in their highest quarter and total base period earnings of 1.25 times their high quarter earnings. If you have been working 25 hours per week for the past year, you would certainly satisfy this base period requirement.

The only other requirements for benefits are that you find yourself unemployed "through no fault of your own" (meaning you didn't voluntarily quit and you weren't fired for "misconduct," such as stealing), that you are actively seeking work and able and available to accept new work.

Assuming you satisfy these additional requirements, your claim for UI benefits should be approved. For information on how to file a claim for unemployment benefits with the EDD, visit this link: http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/filing_a_claim.htm

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.