LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

If you are a salaried employee. What is the usual amount of

If you are a salaried employee. What is the usual amount of hours per week you should work. And is there such a thing as overtime for salaried employees.

Good afternoon Robin,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

On average, most salary exempt employees work 45 to 50 hours a week, and except for a very few states, there is no maximum number of hours an employer may demand that an exempt employee work. CA for example allows salaried exempt employees to refuse to work more than 72 hours in a workweek, and they cannot be fired or punished for their refusal---but they can be forced to work those 72 hours.

While the law does not prevent an employer from paying overtime to an exempt salaried employee, one primary reason that employers designate employees as exempt is to avoid having to pay overtime---so it is rare that a salaried employee would receive overtime pay.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link.

Please also keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

I wish you the best in your future.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Robin. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.