Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Hi I was working in a private company since March 2012, I became

Hi I was working in a private company since March 2012, I became disabled because of Thyroid Cancer in July 2013. I filed disability in and now I m starting to receive some the disability. If I make some money from home will I lose my benefits ?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to give you a thorough and complete answer to your question.

Can you be more specific about making money from your home. Do you mean that you would be working as either an independent contractor and/or employee from home, or do you mean making money through the sale of your home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I mean working from home as an independent contractor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I mean independent contractor....

Hello Mike,

While the income that you earn as an independent contractor will not disqualify you from receiving state disability insurance benefits, you are obligated to report it to the EDD, and it would likely lead to a reduction in the benefit amount that you receive.

In order to continue to qualify for disability insurance, you only have to be unable to perform your regular or customary work, so working as an independent contractor would only possibly lead to a deduction in your benefits not in losing them.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions regarding any of the above.

Thanks and best of luck!