Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I worked for a company and not been given a purchase card yet

I worked for a company and not been given a purchase card yet so all items neede I had to purchase them the last items purchased amounted to 199.00 .I submitted a request for reimbusement before resigning and have not been able to get paid. The original and copy both seem to have come up missing. Can I still get reimbursed for the money I spent to buy products for the office
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am sorry to hear about your trouble getting reimbursed.

Labor Code 2802 mandates that your employer repay you for the expenses you incurred. Specifically, section 2802(a) states as follows:

"An employer shall indemnify his or her employee for all necessary expenditures or losses incurred by the employee in direct consequence of the discharge of his or her duties, or of his or her obedience to the directions of the employer, even though unlawful, unless the employee, at the time of obeying the directions, believed them to be unlawful."

If I were in your circumstances, I'd send one more letter, preferably via registered mail (so they have to sign for it) citing section 2802 and advising that you will file a complaint with the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement if they do not reepay you within 5 business days from the mailing date of the letter.

That should get your former employer's attention. If they are foolish enough to disregard that letter, I'd then file a DLSE complaint. The DLSE will award the unpaid expenses plus interest. (Labor Code 2802(b).)

To file a claim with the DLSE, visit this link: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.