LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

Hi there, I am in California and am unemployed. I got fired

Hi there,

I am in California and am unemployed. I got fired about 2 months ago and am currently receiving unemployment. I got offered a temp job for 3 months that pays really well and I would like to take it. The question I have is; If i take that temp job for 3 months and they decide to let me go after the 3 month period, can i still get unemployment?. Because its not worth it for me to work for 3 months and get let go if i can receive unemployment.

Thanks!

Good morning Blake,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Congratulations on your temporary position offer. Hopefully that will lead to full time employment for you.

If you have been offered a temporary position that will only last 3 months, then you may suspend your unemployment and at the end of the 3 months just file your regular claim for unemployment benefits and the benefits will pick up where they left off.

So long as you are not in a new claim year at that point---which would be more than a year after you first started receiving unemployment, then you won’t have to file a new claim.

Just let EDD know that you will be working a temporary job so that you don’t receive benefits while you are working. That would create a big problem for you.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link.

Please also keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

I wish you the best in your future.

Doug

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Blake. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.