Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Employment Write Up

Customer Question

I would like to chat with someone in reference to my last conversation, I was written up and have the write up to present to you.

The write up is shown, and my answers to the write up are in bold. Please let me know your advice.

Celeste

This memo is a follow-up to discussions we’ve had over the past few months. On May 30th you shared, with Caryn and I that your workload was too heavy. You shared that from April 2012 to May 2013 you managed two jobs, Master Scheduling and Management. You advised that as long as you managed both responsibilities, you would be overwhelmed.

*The reason why my workload was too heavy was because not only was I assisting in these duties, but I also was  helping tremendously in Procurement. This consisted of attending Purchasing QDIPs, Running Exceptions Reports for the Buyers, Running Exceptions Meetings, assisting Buyers with questions related to Syteline due to the lack of knowledge in the department, interviewing, and recruiting outside of work hours with my own time and money to find new buyers.  In fact, I found 2 team members for the Department, Navrajdeep Jammu and Tracey Park through my own diligence and networking. I went above and beyond my scope of work assisting in all areas of Supply Chain: Procurement, Master Scheduling, Interplant Planning, Sales & Operations Planning, Outside Processing, the Warehouse, and the ERP System. The reason why I did this is because of  the lack of resources and knowledge  in the Department, (the departure of XXXXX XXXXX, Jyme Estrada-Thomason, Marin Delgado,  Jeff Bacani, Minerva Robles, and Robin Ruyle no longer the Purchasing Supervisor).  I underwent many obstacles at work and personally, and worked 6-7  days a week for a year in order to make sure the Materials Department could stay intact. Unfortunately this took an unexpected toll on my mind and body and I had a nervous breakdown on May 20th.

I have had to go the Emergency Room Three times:

Sunday May 28: Suffered Back Pains that the Doctor Diagnosed with Severe Anxiety Disorder related to work. Was ordered to see a psychiatrist, a therapist, and was ordered to attend a Work Stress Management Group.

Monday June 17th: Had Severe Chest Pains after a Stressful Exceptions Meeting at work. Diagnosed with Severe Anxiety Disorder and doctor ordered me to take days off of work. I took off June 18-19.

Monday July 8th: Had Back Pains and Stomach Issues related to Anxiety. Doctors diagnosed me with an infection in my rectum and I underwent emergency Surgery. I was placed off of work from July 9th-24th.

When you undergo a nervous breakdown such as the one I had, you temporarily lose control of your mind, your thoughts, and emotions. It physically affected many parts of my body including back pains, sleeplessness, and digestive orders.

I have had to see several doctors to ease my pain and return back to my normal self.

On June 14th, I reached out to you, asked you to give though to what the right job might look like for you that we’d meet the following week to discuss. You quickly replied that you would like to keep the Master Scheduling responsibilities along with supervisory responsibility for Debbie Cohen, Expeditor and Interplant Planner, Navraj Jammu. You stated that retaining these responsibilities (eliminating Inventory Control and Stockroom Management responsibilities) would allow you to focus on Master Scheduling which you are good at and is within your comfort zone.

I chose to focus on Master Scheduling because my strengths lie in Planning and Master Scheduling. Although I would like to work in management, there is currently no one at the company with the willingness or capability to do Master Scheduling. That is why for the needs of the business I chose to keep Master Scheduling. I do not have a problem with being out of my comfort zone, it is when the scope of work becomes overwhelming for not just me, but for anyone to do effectively.

During your performance review on June 20th, you stated again that you wanted to focus on Master Scheduling and no longer have Management responsibilities for Inventory Control and Stockroom. In discussing your performance I provided constructive feedback regarding how you relate to others in meetings. Advised you to be conscious of your body language, listen to other perspectives attentively and respond to others using respectful tones, avoid rolling of the eyes and heavy sighs. In mid-July I finished the reorganization of responsibilities in the department. At this time, in response to your requests you were relieved from Inventory Control and Stockroom responsibilities. The change was communicated when you returned from leave.

Unfortunately my body language and how you perceive me to act in meetings is a result of me being overwhelmed with the many responsibilities I had. The signs of suffering a nervous breakdown include irritability which was demonstrated in my body language. I am confident that with a more feasible workload now I can avoid this type of body language.

On July 25th I met with you to discuss your late entry of orders and the hardship this delay places on the organization. I shared with you that the three week delay in entering orders caused significant delay in ordering necessary materials which can result in increased expedite and overtime costs. During this conversation you advised I was nitpicky because during your review I coached you to not roll your eyes, interrupt others or take deep sighs of disapproval in meeting. Since you still seemed unclear regarding the reason for my coaching, I took the opportunity to remind you of my expectations of you as a leader.

The e-mail you sent to me was dated on July 19th. I was out of the office that day due to the doctor’s orders to take some time off of work. I had a backlog of 1000 e-mails, and unfortunately did not read your e-mail until July 25th after you discussed it with me. While at work I tried my best to schedule orders in a timely manner, however due to the lack of resources in the department, Debbie Cohen who usually assists with Master Scheduling was placed off that responsibility in order to assist with Procurement needs. You were visiting LIE in France from June 22– June 26. When you are out of the office many department including Program Management,  Engineering, Sales, Finance turn to me for guidance and problem solving because of my knowledge of the products, Syteline, and ability to get things done. Usually I would schedule all orders over the weekend as I had being doing for the past year in order to keep up with the workload in the department, but since suffering a nervous breakdown I knew I needed to now work the appropriate work hours for my own health. On July 25th when I returned from my surgery and time off of work I came back relaxed, refreshed, and ready to excel in my revised position. However I was shocked when I came to a hostile meeting between Caryn and you. You questioned whether I wanted to continue my employment at Leach. I responded that I liked the company and the people. You asked me about the scheduling of orders and I responded that I was overwhelmed so unfortunately I was not able to finish scheduling orders. You then threatened my job and said that “You would decide whether I should work here or not.” I do not appreciate being cornered and questioning my ability to work when my injuries have been a direct result of overworking due to my passion for the organization.

I expect you to be open to constructive coaching and feedback to help improve your effectiveness within the organization. Your defensiveness to feedback and unwillingness to accept responsibility of your actions is an area of serious concern. I provide constructive feedback including behavioral examples to aid in your development but you appear unable or unwilling to take responsibility for your behavior. For example:

I approached you in a 1-1 meeting about your non-verbal body language (rolling of eyes, making loud exhaling sounds to show disapproval) and how this behavior does not show respect or build trust and teamwork with co-workers and managers. Your conduct of not being respectful in meeting was talked about again with you and Caryn and I in our meeting on 7-25. Your responded that “this is the company culture and that I was too sensitive to other peoples’ feelings.” I want to be clear that this behavior is not acceptable. Your approach will make it hard for you to earn the respect and trust of your peers and will make it harder for you to be an effective member of our team. Your actions not only reflect on you as an individual, the also foster a negative work environment not aligned with our core values. It is my sincere hope that you will take this feedback to hear, modify your behavior going forward and address your concerns with others constructively.

On June 12th I brought to your attention my observations of how you interacted with John Danley during a meeting. You were rude to him because he did not use your idea on how to improve revenue for the month. You snapped at John in an open meeting saying “Thanks for letting me know this was not needed, I was up until midnight working on this assignment.
“ I tried to explain that this was not a constructive way to address your dissatisfaction. You admitted that you were upset with John and that you were intentionally rude to him. You also responded “John should have told me this was not needed before I spent time on this project and if had given me this feedback beforehand I would not have been rude to John.” In our manufacturing environment many times projects change direction with little or no notice. To be successful in our organization, individual contributors and leader need to express their frustration in a respectful manner. Your response to my constructive feedback indicated that in your mind John was responsible for how you responded to him in the meeting. You did not accept responsibility for your how chose to respond to John. You suggested that John needed to accept responsibility for his actions of not using your idea. I understand your frustration, but your conduct was not appropriate. If in the future a situation like this happens you should ask for a private meeting with the individual to have a constructive conversation and express your concerns.

As stated previously, my body language, rolling of eyes, sighing, and any behavior is a direct result of being overwhelmed. My lack of sleep created by overworking, anxiety caused by work caused these behaviors. Once again I know I can correct these behaviors going forward.

Another major area of concern is your ability to follow through on scheduling sales orders and staying current with the backlog. We discussed in our July 25th meeting that you fell behind and did not ask me for help to get caught up. As the Master Scheduler it is your responsibility to accurately and timely schedule orders. If you are presented with conflicting priorities please see me to help clarify. If orders are not scheduled accurately and timely it has a significant effect on the factory, customers, and suppliers. If you delegate the task to Debbie or another co-worker it is still your responsibility to follow up to ensure accuracy and timeliness of scheduling. Ensuring accurate and timely scheduling of Sales Orders is a core job function and a requirement of being a Master Production Scheduler.

I agree and know the effects of scheduling orders. As stated previously The e-mail you sent to me was dated on July 19th. I was out of the office that day due to the doctor’s orders to take some time off of work. I had a backlog of 1000 e-mails, and unfortunately did not read your e-mail until July 25th after you discussed it with me. While at work I tried my best to schedule orders in a timely manner, however due to the lack of resources in the department, Debbie Cohen who usually assists with Master Scheduling was placed off that responsibility in order to assist with Procurement needs. In order to continue assisting in Procurement, I asked for the Planners Tina De Luna and Tom De Nisco, with the approval of Stan Holt and Jessica Copher to assist me in scheduling orders. I did not see you to help clarify because at the time I did not think you could help. You are very busy, and were always in meetings. I also did not train you or show you exactly how Master Scheduling works at Leach only because I know you have several projects you are tasked with in the Materials Department. In the future I will communicate with you if I feel I am not able to meet certain deadlines or schedule orders in a timely manner.

Based on your request and the business needs of the Supply Chain Organization, you will be re-assigned to Master Production Scheduler, position you had prior to assuming management responsibilities for Inventory Control and Stockroom. This change is designed to allow you to have a smaller scope of work that allows you to focus and be successful. In this role you are expected to accurately and timely schedule sales orders, produce metrics to support S&OP and Flight Plan initiatives, align the production schedule to support customer requirements and inventory goals (see attached job description for more details). As the Master Production Scheduler you also have supervisory responsibility for the Purchasing Expeditor and Interplant Planner. As a Leach employee and leader of the people you are expected to conduct yourself in line with your core values and leader competencies (see attached)

I agree to these job duties. I am confident I can do this job effectively.

Celeste, you have been with Esterline Power Systems for 2+ years. During that time you have proven you can be reliable and productive contributor. We have worked with you to provide a position which you feel more closely meets your experience, comfort zone and demonstrated performance in hopes that you will have a strong career with Leach. Please let us know now, if you see any reason you will not be able to meet the expectations that we have set forth or if you have any questions or concerns. You should understand that the issues with your performance that we have raised are quite serious and we hope that you take this opportunity to make constructive changes so that you can continue your employment and have a successful career at Leach.

I have read this memo and understand the importance of meeting the expectations outlined.

Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Celeste,

Please let me know what questions do you have regarding the write-up and your response to it. Unfortunately, JustAnswer experts are not permitted to 'advice' you, since that would constitute legal representation, but I'd be happy to look over the write up and your responses and give you suggestions on what to change (if anything).

Please let me know if that is okay with you and I will proceed to look over the material you have presented. Also, please let me know if you had particular concerns that you'd like me to address.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am open to your suggestions. Does the write up violate any FMLA or disability acts? Should I sign it?
His write up is in print and my potential responses are in bold. It is a draft.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Celeste,

I'll look over it and get back to you shortly.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Celeste,

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I looked over the write-up and your response to it. There would be some difficulty in alleging that this write-up itself violates the Family Medical Leave Act, the Amercians with Disabilities Act, or the Fair Employment and Housing Act since it does not appear clear that your employer is aware that you have a disability. (If that was made clear to them previously, then you may have a case, but still, it doesn't appear that your employer is outwardly discriminating against you on the basis of a disability and/or retaliating against you for the use of FMLA leave).

Now that you have notified your employer that some of your behavioral patterns were due to the nervous breakdown that you suffered and your severe anxiety disorder, any future acts could possibly be discriminatory but you would need to prove that they were based on your use of FMLA leave and/or disability to have an effective cause of action. (Also, the acts don't prohibit an employer from imposing discipline on you entirely, they just prevent you from being unfairly treated and discriminated against DUE to the disability itself).

Otherwise, I'm afraid that your employer's actions in writing you up are completely legal. And, as an at-will employee, while you cannot be forced to sign anything against your will, your employer could terminate you at any time for any reason with or without any prior notice, including 'insubordination' for refusing to sign the write-up.

Finally, it appears that your employer has taken steps to 'reasonably accommodate your disability' by reducing your work load and allowing you to concentrate more of your attention in one area (Master Scheduling), than being so spread out and overwhelmed with overwork. So, all in all, any case for discrimination or retaliation would be weak at best based solely on this write-up.

All that said, I believe that your response was well-crafted and good. You do seem a little confrontational at the beginning, which I'd be somewhat cautious of, since one of the criticisms is that you don't accept feedback and criticism well. (For instance, you could acknowledge that your actions were inappropriate, although they were due to your disability, suffering a nervous breakdown). Other than that, I think it's great and I only had some minor grammatical corrections to it, which you can find below. I also tried to break up some of the paragraphs to increase readability.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions.

Thanks and best of luck!

*The reason why my workload was too heavy was because not only was I assisting in these duties, but I also was helping tremendously in Procurement. This consisted of attending Purchasing QDIPs, Running Exceptions Reports for the Buyers, Running Exceptions Meetings, assisting Buyers with questions related to Syteline, due to the lack of knowledge in the department, interviewing, and recruiting outside of work hours with my own time and money to find new buyers. In fact, I found 2 team members for the Department, Navrajdeep Jammu and Tracey Park through my own diligence and networking. I went above and beyond my scope of work assisting in all areas of Supply Chain: Procurement, Master Scheduling, Interplant Planning, Sales & Operations Planning, Outside Processing, the Warehouse, and the ERP System. The reason why I did this is because of the lack of resources and knowledge in the Department, (the departure of XXXXX XXXXX, Jyme Estrada-Thomason, Marin Delgado, Jeff Bacani, Minerva Robles, and Robin Ruyle no longer the Purchasing Supervisor). I underwent many [work and personal] obstacles, and worked 6-7 days a week for a year in order to make sure the Materials Department could stay intact. Unfortunately[,] this took an unexpected toll on my mind and body and I had a nervous breakdown on May 20th.

Unfortunately[,] my body language and how you perceive me to act in meetings is a result of me being overwhelmed with the many responsibilities I had. The signs of suffering a nervous breakdown include irritability[,] which was demonstrated in my body language. I am confident that with a more feasible workload now I can avoid this type of body language.

The e-mail you sent to me was dated July 19th. I was out of the office that day due to the doctor’s orders to take some time off of work. I had a backlog of 1000 e-mails, and unfortunately did not read your e-mail until July 25th after you discussed it with me. While at work I tried my best to schedule orders in a timely manner, however due to the lack of resources in the department, Debbie Cohen[,] who usually assists with Master Scheduling was placed off that responsibility in order to assist with Procurement needs. You were visiting LIE in France from June 22– June 26. When you are out of the office many department including Program Management, Engineering, Sales, Finance turn to me for guidance and problem solving because of my knowledge of the products, Syteline, and ability to get things done. Usually I would schedule all orders over the weekend as I had being doing for the past year in order to keep up with the workload in the department, but since suffering a nervous breakdown I knew I needed to now work the appropriate work hours for my own health.

On July 25th[,] when I returned from my surgery and time off of work I came back relaxed, refreshed, and ready to excel in my revised position. However[,] I was shocked when I came to a hostile meeting between [you and Caryn]. You questioned whether I wanted to continue my employment at Leach. I responded that I liked the company and the people. You asked me about the scheduling of orders and I responded that I was overwhelmed so[,] unfortunately[,] I was not able to finish scheduling orders. You then threatened my job and said that “You would decide whether I should work here or not.” I do not appreciate being cornered and questioning my ability to work when my injuries have been a direct result of overworking due to my passion for the organization.

On June 12th I brought to your attention my observations of how you interacted with John Danley during a meeting. You were rude to him because he did not use your idea on how to improve revenue for the month. You snapped at John in an open meeting saying “Thanks for letting me know this was not needed, I was up until midnight working on this assignment.”

As stated previously, my body language, rolling of eyes, sighing, and any behavior is a direct result of being overwhelmed. My lack of sleep created by overworking, anxiety caused by work caused these behaviors. Once again[,] I know I can correct these behaviors going forward.

I agree and know the effects of scheduling orders. As stated previously[,] the e-mail you sent to me was dated on July 19th. I was out of the office that day due to the doctor’s orders to take some time off of work. I had a backlog of 1000 e-mails, and unfortunately did not read your e-mail until July 25th[,] after you discussed it with me. While at work I tried my best to schedule orders in a timely manner, however due to the lack of resources in the department, Debbie Cohen who usually assists with Master Scheduling was placed off that responsibility in order to assist with Procurement needs. In order to continue assisting in Procurement, I asked for the Planners Tina De Luna and Tom De Nisco, with the approval of Stan Holt and Jessica Copher to assist me in scheduling orders. I did not see you to help clarify because at the time I did not think you could help. You are very busy, and were always in meetings. I also did not train you or show you exactly how Master Scheduling works at Leach only because I know you have several projects you are tasked with in the Materials Department. In the future I will communicate with you if I feel I am not able to meet certain deadlines or schedule orders in a timely manner.

I noticed that the formatting was lost, so I will respond in a separate answer again with the write-up response.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

As promised, here it is with the formatting in tact:

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Hello Celeste,

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions regarding the above, or if you want me to look over a second or final draft of your response.

Also, please keep in mind that I would have liked to have given you better information, but it is my duty to inform you about the status of the law, and not to give you false hopes about rights that you do not have.

Finally, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work! (Otherwise I receive nothing for assisting you, as I do not receive any income from JustAnswer outside of that I get from positive ratings of my services).

Thanks again and best of luck!