Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Today I took a new job. I was supposed to take a business

Today I took a new job. I was supposed to take a business trip in November, and already booked my flight. My old company reimbursed my travel expenses, even though I had yet to take this business trip. This total amounted to $1087. My question is, do I need to reimburse them for the cost of this trip, even though I am no longer employed?
Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I will do everything I can to assist you.

You asked: "My question is, do I need to reimburse them for the cost of this trip, even though I am no longer employed?

Did you mean to ask if your employer needs to reimburse you for the expense you incurred in booking the trip even though you are no longer employed? I apologize by I am having a bit of diffiulty understanding your question as presently worded.

I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In July, I purchased a flight for a business trip in November. The cost of that flight was $1087. On my following paycheck, at the end of July, I received $1087 as reimbursement for purchasing that flight. My question is, because I no longer work there, do I need to pay them back?

Thank you very much for clarifying.

An emplyee in your circumstance would have no obligation to pay your employer back unless they demanded that you cancel the flight (assuming cancellation is possible) and you refused. If your employer has the capability to cancel the flight on its own, they would of course have that freedom as well, but simply because your employer funded a plane ticket in your name does not in itself create some affirmative obligation to pay your employer for that business expense.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.

However, your employer would have the right to cancel your flight or, if only you are able to cancel it, that you cancel the flight or pay
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I, alone am only able to cancel this, because it is technically in my name. To clarify, I wouldn't have to refund my employer under this circumstance?

You would not have to cancel the ticket unless your employer asked you to. They have every right to ask you to cancel the ticket, since it was purchased for a business purpose which no longer exists. However, you have no legal obligation to affirmatively seek them out to see if they want you to cancel. If they don't ask, they cannot claim any damage since it was up to them to get their money back and they failed to take the initiative. A party cannot sit on their rights and expect them to be enforced on their behalf.

Please let me know if I can provide any further clarification. I am more than happy to do so if necessary.