socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I work for a company that sorts mail (mostly junk mail) where

I work for a company that sorts mail (mostly junk mail) where most of the employees do not speak English fluently. Many of my co-workers have been working since the 5th of August straight because we are told not to take our days off because there is too much work to be done.

I have read Labor Codes 551-554. Can my employer really force us to work 24 out of 28 days in a calendar month?

Mathematically, it's possible to require employees to work seven days for three consecutive weeks, followed by three additional days in the fourth week, and then three days rest to make up for the three consecutive seven-day shifts.

The issue boils down to whether or not the job reasonably necessitates that employees work 24 consecutive days. If yes, and DLSE agrees, then it's legal -- otherwise, it could end up in both civil and criminal court.

Hope this helps.