Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Im wondering if its against the law for an employer to ask

I'm wondering if it's against the law for an employer to ask you to change an invoice from an outside contractor. Not the money total but the what they did to earn that money?

Also, if you were let go by an employer because you were a sqeaky wheel-would you have a court case if you've worked at the company for over 20 years without any problems?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information before I can provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Can you tell me what you were told to change specifically, and the reason you were given, if any, by the employer? Did you refuse to do it?

As far as being let go for being a 'squeaky wheel,' do you believe you were terminated for not changing the invoice if you refused? Did you refuse to do anything else because you believed it to be illegal or make any complaints about perceived illegal activity?

Can you tell me what reason you were given for your termination?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My boss asked me to change the invoice from: cleaning rooms to data entry because "she doesn't want to explain why we paid someone to clean offices"

I haven't been let go yet, but after working there for 23 years I know the drill.

Hello Julie,

I'm afraid that that type of invoice changing that you describe is not illegal, since it doesn't amount to false accounting practices or anything else.

However, if you believe it is illegal and if you were to report it to an outside agency, you would still be entitled to protection from retaliation even though it isn't illegal.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne though is that it would be unlikely that that would provide you with a strong enough basis to file suit against your employer, unless you could prove you were terminated for retaliation due to your complaint.