Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

California Workers Comp., question; I am pro per. Commutation I

California Workers’ Comp., question; I am pro per. Commutation

I just received an Award with the Life Pension; I want to commutate about 10% of it from the back end. Can I Commutate the Life Pension at the same time I am Petitioning the WCAB for Reconsideration of the Award?
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need this answer, please find someone.

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Hello Michael,

Yes, you can request that 10% of your life pension award be commutated, even while you are petitioning the WCAB for reconsideration of the award.

Since commutations are granted by the DEU instead of a judge, there would be no conflict with you requesting the commutation at the same time as you are petitioning for reconsideration of the award.

(If both matters were before a judge, I could see that the judge would possibly want to hold off on allowing a commutation until there is assurance that the life pension award is final).

I hope this information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions.

Thanks and best of luck!
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management