Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

An employer relocated me and paid for the moving expenses which

An employer relocated me and paid for the moving expenses which I will have to pay back proated over 24 months if I leave the employer in the first two years. Outlined in the employment offer was my compensation package. Clarity on how I was to be compensated for all added elements of pay on every pay period was confirmed by HR in follow up emails. I am not being fully compensated as per the employment contract.

Is my employer in breach of contract? If the contract is broken by the employer, am I obligated to pay them any moving expanses should I decide to leave? I have been employed with this employer for just over two months and I have been discussing my missing compensation along with the fact they have not provided me with a pay stub for any pay check with them since my first partial pay was received.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Yes, if your employer is not paying you all the compensation due to you in accord with their contractual obligations to you, then they are in breach of the contract.

That would mean that you are currently free to leave your employer without having to pay back the relocation expenses that your employer paid for, since your obligations to your employer cease once the employer has breached its agreement with you.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions.

Thanks and best of luck!
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management