Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Hello so am hoping someone could give me a good advice. I

Customer Question

Hello so am hoping someone could give me a good advice.
I am currently going to school for nursing BSN, I am currently a Surgical tech and next month I start my clinical rotation and will be in school four days a week two of those four days I am in school from 7am to 7pm my regular work schedule is 7pm to 7:30am which means for the days that I go to school 7am to 7pm I can’t work either the night before or the night of. I work 2(12hrs) per week, I am a single mom rely on my job to pay my medical benefit etc I also have to pay for child care and other bills especially my tuition since i attend private school, also child care. My job also loans me money for school with the promise that I work for them after graduation. I can work 2 days a week since this is my commitment but my other coworkers aren’t so cooperative in terms of working on days I couldn’t. I have not personally talked to my manager about my concerns though she has told me if I ever need any help come to her. But here are my questions/concerns: could I be laid off if I can’t work certain days because of school? The stress from worrying over my job has caused me some depression and my grades are dropping. I will appreciate a good advice please thanks.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

I need a bit more information before I can provide you with a complete and thorough answer.

Can you tell me if you are a member of a union, have an employment contract (or contract with them regarding the loan), or are you an at-will employee?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I am at will employee.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, you can be terminated at any time for any reason with or without any prior notice, so, theoretically you could be terminated for that reason.

However, since your employer has loaned you money for school on the condition that you return to work with them after you graduate, I think that it's rather unlikely that they'd terminate you from employment while they have a future monetary investment with you.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question and/or requesting me directly in California Employment Law.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,

Joseph