How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37390
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Your Question: I filed for an unemployment claim on 2/15/12.

Resolved Question:

Your Question:

I filed for an unemployment claim on 2/15/12. I was on tier 3 extension and I still have $1,640 left but it got discontinued because I accepted a full-time temporary assignment from a temporary agency from 3/11/13 to 6/27/13.

I re-opened my claim on 6/28/13 but I have received no benefit as of today. However, I did receive a noticed from EDD on 7/16/13 stating that " You may qualify for extended benefits. If you qualify, the claim will automatically be filled. No action is needed on your part. You will be notified by mail of your eligibility". It is more than two weeks now, I still haven't received or heard anything from EDD. I have called and e-mailed EDD but I have received no response as of today. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.

The means of forcing the EDD to take action on a claim is, unfortunately, hidiously costly. The process is called a "petition for a writ of mandate," which must be filed with the Superior Court, and it is practically impossible to accomplish without hiring a lawyer.

You can send a complaint form to EDD, by certified mail, return receipt requested, so that you know that your complaint was received. But, ultimately, if EDD does not respond, then you are stuck, because until EDD sends you a denial, you cannot appeal to the administrative law judge.

I don't want to say that all you can do is wait, but, that's really where you're at. You could mention in the complaint that unless you receive a response within the next 15 days, you will file a writ petition with the Superior Court. That might get someone's attention, because it will show that you know what your next legal step is -- but, if it doesn't, then you will have to decide whether or not you want to actually file the petition so as to force EDD to do its job.

I really wish I had some other bulletproof means of getting you a response, but this really is all there is available.

I can direct you to a civil practice guide that explains how to file a writ petition, if you decide you want to try to "do-it-yourself," but that's the only other thing that I can offer under the circumstances.

Please let me know if you would like that info. Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 37390
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

First of all, I need to know which tier will I be on and qualify for. As I have mentioned, I have $1,640 left from tier 3 claim back in March,13 before I received the temporary assignment from a temp agency. Should I or Will I be able to get back to that extended benefits? Or EDD should automatically file for tier 4 extended benefits?

Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Your Tier 3 claim is expired. Also, after some additional research, I have found that, due to federal benefit cuts caused by the improving employment conditions in California, no further Tier 4 claims will be permitted after August 11. Consequently, if you have received no correspondence from EDD, then you should file an extended benefit claim using the process found at this link, as a means of preserving your right to a Tier 4 claim.

Even if your claim is denied, due to your having already reopened your previous claim, by filing the extended benefit claim, you will have set up conditions to permit you to appeal an adverse ruling with an administrative law judge. This would allow you to avoid having to petition the Superior Court, as previously described.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I filed my my first unemployment claim on 2/15/13 and I filed again on 6/28/13 to re-opened my claim. There is only one form to use either to file a claim or to re-opened a claim. There no particular form on EDD site that I could file for extended benefit only. What am I missing here?


If I could get my tier 4 payment, it will be worth fighting for and I don't mind to pay you extra to do the work if necessary. I am tired of dealing with them.

Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
If you filed a form DE 1101i, and you called 1-800-300-5616 after 10 days of no response, then you have done everything that you can, other than to file the complaint form that I previously provided -- or to petition the Superior Court for a writ of mandate.

That is literally everything that you can do, and you will have preserved your rights to extended benefits by doing so.

Concerning my representing you to recover your benefits, I'm quite flattered by your interest, however, I'm retired and not taking cases at this time. Moreover, I am prohibited from accepting outside work via contacts made at this website.

If you wish to hire a lawyer, I can provide you with a referral link -- please let me know.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response. Yes, I have filed form DE1101i on 2/15/12 and 6/28/13. I will try to call the number you have provided tomorrow. And I may need to hire a lawyer to get my tier 4 payments since EDD doesn't seem to want to honor that. Please send me the referral link and your help is greatly appreciated.


I am happy with your service and I will rate to finish tomorrow in case if I have an additional questions or two. By the way, besides from the deposited payment. Am I allow to tip you?



Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
All of the State Bar of California Certified Referral Service links can be accessed here.

The phone number that I provided is listed at the bottom of the paper Form DE 1101i. It's definitely not a secret contact number. Hopefully, EDD will be able to resolve this for you immediately.

Concerning a tip, I shall greatfully accept whatever contributions you believe are appropriate, so that I can continue to assist others in the future.

Thanks again!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, I have called that 800 number but as usual they were too busy to pick up the phone. Anyway, I did get a response back today from a non 800 number after multiple calls. She said she will mail out the continue claim form today. Hopefully, I will receive it sometimes next week.


I am ready to rate and close this session now so you can get paid. Again, thank you for your help.





Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
EDD is a pain -- in fairness they are the most understaffed government agency in the USA, right now. I wouldn't want to be one of their customer service reps.

Regardless, you're entitled to benefits and a prompt response. You may want to send of that complaint letter, anyway -- just in case you sitll don't get a letter response -- and to ensure you have your opinion registered.

Best of luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried multiple times to rate and close this session but I wasn't able to. I keep getting the below message:


Almost done! You have received a response...

However, you currently do not have enough funds in your account to view your answer.
This may be due to one of two reasons:

  1. There was an error with your payment transaction and your funds were not successfully deposited in your JustAnswer account.

  2. You recently filed a refund and the funds in your JustAnswer account were returned to you.

To view your Expert's response, please click "Continue" to re-enter your information or choose a different payment method on the next page. You will be billed only once.


I did click on continue but I didn't see anything that I could choose a different payment method.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions