Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I work for County of Los Angeles public works as an engineer.

I work for County of Los Angeles public works as an engineer. I am on the list for promotion. After appraisal of promotion, people are assigned in group 1 to 5. I am in group 2. Everyone in group 1 have been promoted as of June end.
A division, watershed management division had 3 to 5 position after June. Couple of people from group 2 have been hired by that division. I have worked for 3.5 years for that division in the past from technician to engineer positions. The people who got promoted from band 2 by that division had less experience working experience in that division. Also, I have two masters degree in engineering, more than anyone in group 2. My last three performance evaluations were "very good".
If that division does not promote me, isn't it unfair? What can I do?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jay,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While it is certainly unfair and wrong for you not to be promoted, it is, unfortunately, not illegal for you to be treated in an unfair manner by your employer. This would only be illegal if you were treated unfairly due to discrimination based on a protected characteristic, such as race, gender, national origin, ethnicity, or sex.

As your union said, if they can hire anyone from group two, they, unfortunately aren't obligated to take your comparative accomplishments and achievements into account over your fellow co-workers.

I realize that the above information is not what you wanted to hear, but I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions.

Thanks and best of luck!

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management