LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

Can my employer force me to repay them for airfare that was

Can my employer force me to repay them for airfare that was expensed but not used due to illness, since I am now resigning? (It has been 5 months since the missed trip and I did not sign any agreement stating I would repay anything for any reason.)

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Quite simply no, your employer cannot demand that you reimburse them for a flight that you missed due to being ill. Under the law, an employer is obligated to pay all reasonable expenses incurred by an employee for their job---and that includes a flight scheduled but missed. This is the law regardless of whether you booked the flight, paid for it and were reimbursed---or whether con employer booked and initially paid for it. You owe them nothing.

And, it is illegal for them to dock your paycheck for it without your written approval which you won’t give, as you don’t owe the money in the first place.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Doug, thank you for your answer. I just want to confirm that this applies in Michigan because I think I must've clicked on California or something by accident. Also, would you be able to tell me how I can explain this to my employer if it comes up? I guess I wonder if I can say "it's illegal, you can't charge me" as simple as that?

Good afternoon Jennifer,

Yes, it applies to MI as well.

They know full well that they can't charge you for a missed flight. If you want to copy off something to show them---here is a link to the law, and another link to a lay version of the law in MI:

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link.

Please also keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

I wish you the best in your future.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Jennifer. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.