Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Good afternoon. If you have an exempt (non hourly) position,

Good afternoon. If you have an exempt (non hourly) position, with no direct reports, can your employer continue to create a work situation which requires daily overtime because they are not having enough staff to meet workload requirements and not provide OT pay or comp time? I am a high performer that has had no choice but to work 10 to 12 hour work days for two years now. Exhausted and tired of being told "be glad you have a job." Employers in CA are getting away with too much.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, this situation is completely legal. Theoretically, your employer can continuously require you to work 12 hour days if your position is exempt, without having to pay you overtime.

There are many employees who are required to work these hours as exempt employees.

While it is unethical, inhumane, and extremely unfair for employees to do this, I regret to inform you that this is completely legal.

I realize this is not the news you wanted to hear, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question..

Thanks and best of luck!