Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am currently on California unemployment. I am in the process

I am currently on California unemployment. I am in the process of trying to start a business, get funding (which would then allow me to be employed). However, I am probably 3 months away from getting any external investors. In the interim, I am the sole funder of the business. My co-founder might also put in some money to help get it off the ground (but not to pay any salaries). My question: can I claim California unemployment while I am in the process of starting the business?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, you can collect unemployment benefits while you are in the process of starting a business in California.

You can be self-employed and continue to receive unemployment benefits while in California. You are only required to report any income that you receive (if any) to the EDD on your continued claim forms.

While you are still in the funding and start up phase, you don't have to worry about reporting anything to the EDD and/or on your continued claim forms.
Hello Victor,

Please see this link for further information:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Total_and_Partial_Unemployment_TPU_41505.htm

Again, please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions.

Thanks and best of luck!
Hello Victor,

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions regarding the above.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work.
Hello Victor,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Victor. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question and/or requesting me directly in California Employment Law.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,

Joseph