California Employment Law
California Employment Law Questions Answered by Legal Experts
· What exactly happened that made the work environment, “hostile”? Many things have happened since I became employed with PulmoCare, some I chose to overlook until the abuse became unbearable and also very inappropriate.
· When and where did the incident(s) occur? Be specific: Dates & times: July 15th my Health Insurance was suppose to be in place, was told the week before by HR that it wasn’t going to happen so I spoke to Mr. Gingles about this and that I had a bad infection from a prior surgery and a couple days later, I received in the mail, a plastic baggy filled with some pills with a paper written in Mr. Gingles handwriting with instructions on how to take the medication. Mr. Gingles is not a doctor. I did not take this medicine, but have held onto it as evidence. July 16th I was buckled over in pain, contacted HR on July 17th and they put a RUSH into get my health insurance in place. Got into see doctor, was diagnosed with a severe infection from my cancer surgery. Mr. Gingles was in transit from So. Cal to Nor Cal to work on facility for upcoming fire inspection. I contacted Mr. Gingles requesting him to stay at a Hotel as I needed my bedroom as I was very sick. My Gingles lied to me and said there was some sort of conference in San Francisco and he could not find a Hotel and asked me if he should pick up a bow up bed. I own a blow up bed, so I blew it up (while being ill) and went to bed. Mr. Gingles arrived very late awakening me as I had to leave my door unlocked for him to get in. Came into my bedroom to chat in his tiny underwear which I txt him about never to do again. The following morning on July 18th Mr. Gingles got up to shower and went and got food and then as he was leaving to go to the facility, shouted, “ Hurry up and get in the shower and meet me at the facility” and slammed my front door before I could respond. So, I laid there and rested for a while as was very sick from the strong antibiotics. I finally realized I would never be able to have enough energy to work that day so I called Mr. Gingles from my cell phone next to my bed and he would not answer my call. A little while later, he called me back on my home phone, knowing this would require me to get out of bed to answer the phone and said, “ Hi, I am returning your call, how can I help you?” I said, “Bruce, I will not be able to make it in.” He said, Well, whatever.” And hung up on me. I later txt him and said I did not deserve to be hung up on and he sent me a 6 page txt about my nasty attitude when we had a phone call that lasted less than 30 seconds. Then when he came back from the facility he apparently now had no problem finding a Hotel and loaded up his car and started yelling at me about how the medication I am on was affecting my brain. I was on flagyl, which in no way alters a person’s ability to think or reason. I once again sent him a txt after he left to be sure there was a paper trail for you all to have. He then called me and started screaming at me after work hours about my attitude and to this day I am extremely baffled as I am always professional. If I ever feel I am out of line I will always step forward and apologize.
7-25-2013 3:02AM someone from PulmoCare logged onto my personal computer and was on for approximately 15 minutes. The logmein was only to be used if I had to have something fixed on my computer. I have printed the report and uninstalled the program so no one can have access to my personal computer. He also brought a 9mm gun into my home and that really freaked me out. I asked him to put it away and he kept playing with it.
· Is this the same incident that was investigated previously or a continuation of such? N/A
· Can any witness be identified? Just Forwarded emails to Gabriela Ortiz
· Is there any other evidence of the incident occurring?
· Are you aware of any other employees that may have experienced the same or similar situation? On July 19th while working with Mr. Gingles at the facility I overheard him screaming at numerous employees on the phone put cannot verify who they were.
· Was there a specific reason for the hostility? (i.e retaliation, ect) Prior to me asking Mr. Gingles not to stay at my home, he was buying my lavish dinners and lovely expensive gifts and that all stopped and the mean abuse began, so I know that he now knew he was not going to be getting anywhere with me physically. Mr. Gingles made very inappropriate remarks on the night of July 17th as my infection was from Cervical Cancer. He said, “ I guess there won’t be any oral tonight.” I have NEVER been intimate with Mr. Gingles.
· How were you and your work affected by this situation? Since July 17th I have been a complete emotional mess, I have lost 10 pounds, am unable to eat. I spent my whole savings to relocate here and now I do not know what my future holds for me as I can not be treated with such disrespect and cruelty.
· Did you discuss incident with anyone else? Yes as I needed moral support but they wish to remain anonymous
· What is your desired result? I want to work in an environment where I can trust the integrity of the company I work for but Mr. Gingles has a way of twisting things around and I know this because my family knew him and warned me but I was naïve and assured them he had changed and now I am in a situation I never dreamed I would be in.
· I also have all the txt messages in my gmail account as well as saved in my phone verifying this information that I can forward. In my email, they are all broken up so if Gabriela wants the messages forwarded to her phone, I am willing to do so. There are a lot of them.
*Retaliation will not be tolerated! We will follow up after investigation.
* Keep the incident and & contents of our discussion confidential as to not impede the investigation.
I asked very clearly in my first message what the laws are in California when (let's make it easier) your boss sends you medication in the mail with instructions because the health insurance did not come through on the date I was promised. He sent me prescription medication with instruction on how to take it. I did not take it but reported this to HR along with many other issues as you saw. I have heard that this is a felony in California and was wondering if you are aware if this is true?
I relocated to Northern Cal for this position. Are you able to refer any San Fran Bay Area Attorney's that are reputable? Your help would be appreciated if you are able to do so.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).