Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I worked for a company for about 3 years and after the management

I worked for a company for about 3 years and after the management changed, I felt it was a very hostile
Work enviornment so I brought it up to higher management several times and nothing was done, and when I threatened to quit my former manager quit before me so i stayed. After she was gone I was asked to cover a certain location 7 days a week temporarily ( I was 4 months pregnant during this time) them after 1 month I was told I had to work another location 2 days out of the week same day
So I was working 7 days a week at 5 months prego and covering 2 locations 2 days per week.
When I asked to only work 5 days per week they asked my doctor to write a note on why I needed to work less ( this when u was 7 months along) and my doctor was shocked. After I came back from maternity leave, they hired yet again a new manager and she was worse than the previous one so I quit
I want to know if I can still sue them because my baby is very short tempered and I feel because I was overworked he is just so angry and throws the worst tantrums all the time
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Can you tell me if you believe that the work environment was hostile due to discrimination against you based on your pregnancy (or protected characteristic, such as race,gender, national origin, ethnicity, etc.)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes as I explained as soon as they found out I was pregnant they made
Me work 7 days per week as soon as they found out literally 1 week later.
Then when I was 7 months along and asked for less work days, they asked for a doctor note with a good excuse why I c as n no longer push a 60 pound cart lift heavy boxes or constantly bend our lift!
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then when I was 7 months along and asked for less work days, they asked for a doctor note with a good excuse why I c as n no longer push a 60 pound cart lift heavy boxes or constantly bend our lift! Is it too late to sue for stress, hostile work enviornment and harrasment and harsh labor? I still have some emails
Thanks
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Last question. When did you quit your job? How long ago?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
July 2011
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Again my goal is to provide you with excellent service today, so please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any additional information.

Unfortunately, under California's Fair Employment and Housing Act you are required to file a complaint against you your employer with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing within a year of the discriminatory event.

The statute of limitations is only extended if you did not discover the discrimination until after the event occurred. (For instance, if you were paid less than other employees and were not aware of this till after you left the job).

Since the discrimination that you faced appears to have been apparent to you while it was occurring, it is highly unlikely that you can get the statute of limitations extended in your case.

The other cause of action that you mentioned, suing based on the temperment of your baby, which you believe was negatively affected due to your overwork would be an interesting case for an attorney to take. However, it would definitely be hard to prove that your overwork was THE cause of your baby's temperment, when other factors (environmental, biological, etc.) could also be at play.

Simply put, it would be a very risky case and a difficult one to prove, so it's unlikely that you would be able to get an attorney interested in the case, unless you could get a medical expert who would support your theory that stress and overwork during pregnancy, and shortly thereafter (when you returned from leave) can lead to a negative emotional impact on a fetus/baby and cause your baby to be angry and to throw tantrums frequently.

I realize that the above information is not what you wanted to hear, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Since my goal is to provide you with the best service today, please don't hesitate to request any additional information or ask me any follow up questions.

If you don't have any, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management