socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I am a home owner, I hired a license contractor to do a complete

Customer Question

I am a home owner, I hired a license contractor to do a complete home remodeling project. It was discovered about halfway into the project that the contract had not aquired permits to do the work. The work was stopped and I hired a private inspector to inspect the work completed and in progress. It was discovered through the report that the contractor made serious code violations in the plumbing, and other construction. It appears that the contractor just pulled workers off the street who did not know what they are doing. Not only that, There are eight children living in my home, two of them are disabled. I have a safety concern as well since it is obvious that there is no man here. I and the other female adult here believe that we may be at high risk of potential victims of crimes with these types of individals coming in and out of my home. They are in the position to do just about anything that would give them access to my home. I trusted that he had hired qualified workers to do the work on my property and that he knew who they were. When constrution companies hire individuals to a project they hire them based on qualification and they check their references and background. I filed a complaint with the california State Licensing Board.
(CSLB). Besides the other complaints I expressed a safey concern because of what happened to Polly Class. Is it wrong for me to request that the contractor hire workers that have credentials to prove qualifications that he can check? Is it wrong for me to tell the contrator that I don't want people he picks up off the street he knows nothing about to do work in my home? While I know this is no guarantee that will assure absolute protection, a higher probability exists that may minimize this danger. I live in the city of Compton and we have an extremely high rate pediphiles and rapists living in our community than most cities. If I push this issue does it mean that I will jeopardize my case with CSLB? Do I have to choose etween protecting my family and getting the help from the CSLB that I desperately need?

I requested a lawyer that is knowledgable about contractor law not employment law to answer my concerns not an employment lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello! You asked:

Is it wrong for me to request that the contractor hire workers that have credentials to prove qualifications that he can check?

A: It's entirely appropriate for you to require that the contractor show you proof of workers compensation coverage for each and every employee. This is fairly common practice with larger construction projects.

Is it wrong for me to tell the contrator that I don't want people he picks up off the street he knows nothing about to do work in my home?

A: No, and in fact, it's highly advisable to insist that every worker have some longevity with the contractor -- or have a separate contractors license.

While I know this is no guarantee that will assure absolute protection, a higher probability exists that may minimize this danger. I live in the city of Compton and we have an extremely high rate pediphiles and rapists living in our community than most cities. If I push this issue does it mean that I will jeopardize my case with CSLB?

A: No, not at all.

Do I have to choose etween protecting my family and getting the help from the CSLB that I desperately need?

A: Again, you have no obligation to permit persons about whom the contractor has no knowledge. You can require that the contractor provide you with a criminal background check on each and every worker.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ALSO HIGHLY SUSPECT THAT THE CONTRACTOR IS HIRING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. A BACKGROUND CHECK ON THEM WILL COME UP WITH ZERO INFORMATION WHAT CAN I DO IN THIS CASE?
The contractor is legally obligated to verify every worker using the USCIS eVerify system. However, federal law does not permit the employer to use this information for any other purpose. So, the contractor could get into trouble with the federal governent by providing any of this information to you.

If you suspect that a worker is in the USA in violation of the immigration laws, then your sole recourse is to report your suspicions to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), at this link. Note that California law does not discriminate against workers based upon their immigration status. An "illegal" worker is entitled to be paid in exactly the same manner, and is subject to the same payroll tax withholding obligations as is any California/U.S. citizen.

So, while I understand that you may have additional concerns about immigration status, you have only very limited options to alert the authorities about your concerns. Your primary protection from liability is to have the contractor show that he/she has workers compensation coverage for each worker.

Many small contractors will not have such coverage, and they are likely to start engaging in apologetics, providing every possible excuse for why they are not covering certain workers (e.g., "It's not necessary for this kind of job," or "The workers have their own insurance."). These excuses are all "baloney." Every California construction worker is required to be covered by workers compensation insurance (except for an independently licensed subcontractor who works for him/herself -- see Labor Code 3353).

At the point that the excuses begin, you have a simple choice: accept the risk that a worker who is injured while working on your property may sue you for those injuries -- or, find another contractor who will follow the law.

Hope this helps .
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if the independently licensed subcontractor who works for himself hires illegal immigrants, would I still be liable if he gets hurt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it be wrong or against the law for me to request the names of the workers the contractor hires so that I can do my own background check/

The flooring that the contractor installed throughout my home is so inferior that it sustained severe damage with normal use in less than a year. The contractor told me that the flooring he suggested was of good quality and more durable than hardwood flooring.

The inspector's report stated and I quote, "The lament flooring is a very inexpensive product and was installed amateurishly, the floor is unleveled in areas, the joints do not fit properly and some are cupping. there are portions of the floor missing, I recommend a better flooring and complete changeout." would the CSLB drop my case if I demand that the contractor repair the floor according to the inspector's report if the contractor says he cannot do it because it is too costly. can the contractor walk away from the project as result of this demand?
would it be wrong or against the law for me to request the names of the workers the contractor hires so that I can do my own background check?

A: No.

A: This is a construction defect and warranty issue. You are likely to have to bring this matter to a small claims or regular civil court for resolution.

Concerning the CSLB, the agency is interested in whether or not the contractor is following the licensing laws, which includes carrying workers compensation insurance for employees, and not hiring unlicensed subcontractors instead of employees. The CSLB will not drop your case, if you raise construction defect issues -- but, it is also unlikely to address these issues, because the issue of construction defects and warranties is outside the scope of agency regulation.

A: You could be liable. I suggest that you contact your homeowners insurance agent and find out if you are covered for worker injuries if the worker is not covered by workers compensation insurance, and employed by someone other than yourself.

An independently licensed contractor is no different than your current general contractor. Each independent contractor must be subject to the same inspection by you, re workers, as the general contractor who has contracted with you for services.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I demand that the contractor NOT use the remainder of the flooring as specified in the inspector's report in my den and bedroom?

would it be unreasonable for me to demand that the contractor supply me with a payment and performance bond and make sure that the payments are made directly to the subcontractors and material supplies and give me proof of those payments.

There was some changes to the work previously done without change orders. will any future changes I need to make that are not code violations need to be made with a change order? If so, how do I do this ?

A: You can claim that the product is not of fair and average quality, or that it is not what was reasonably expected, and demand a change.

A: That would be reasonable.

A: Every change should be confirmed in writing and signed by you and the contractor. Re "how to," you are roughly asking me to teach you how to write a change order -- which I cannot do, because it violates the website terms of service. But, there's no special drafting rules. Just write down exactly what you want changed and have the contractor date and sign the agreement.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It may not be against the law to request the names of workers from the contractors but will CSLB tell me that i'm asking too much of the contractor then tell me that he does not have to do it?.

I am asking these questions because I don't want to do anything that will cause the contractor to walk away from the project with the blessing of CSLB. I need the contractor to come back to finish the project right because I do not have the funds to hire anyone else.

you have provided me with excellent service as soon as I am able I will send u a bonus!
CSLB is dedicated to ensuring that California contractors follow the laws. There is practically nothing that you could do that would put CSLB on the contractor's side. As long as you have a legitimate complaint about the licensee's conduct, CSLB will enforce the law against the contractor to your benefit.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I SPOKE TO THE INVESTIGATOR HANDLING MY CASE AND HE INFORMED ME THAT IF I MAKE DEMANDS OF THE CONTRACTOR REGARDING REPLACING THE FLOOR, OR DOING A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK ON HIS EMPLOYEES WHICH WILL INVOLVE MONEY ON THE PART OF THE CONTRACTOR, THE CONTRACTOR CAN SAY ITS TOO COSTLY AND THAT HE CANNOT DO IT WHICH WILL GIVE HIM THE RIGHT TO WALK AWAY FROM THE PROJECT WHICH IS WITHIN THE LAW.

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE CONTRACTOR TO RUIN MY PROPERTY THEN SAY IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE FOR HIM TO CORRECT THEN WALK AWAY FROM HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE THOSE CORRECTIONS? AND HOW IS IT THAT HE CAN ALLOW ANY POTENTIAL CRIMINAL TO HAVE ACCESS TO MY HOME POTENTIALLY PUTTING ME AND MY FAMILY AT RISK?

WOULD IT BE UNLAWFUL FOR ME TO REQUEST THAT THE WORKERS SPEAK ENGLISH OR HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE ENGLISH IN ORDER THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM DIRECTLY FOR SAFETY SAKE?

WOULD IT BE UNLAWFUL FOR ME TO ASK TO SEE THE WORKERS ID TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE WHO THEY SAY THEY ARE?

A: I don't necessarily share the investigator's opinion. However, adding requirements to the contract concerning employees is not the same as requiring the contractor use materials which are of "merchantable quality." Your original interest was getting a quality job. There are many undocumented/illegal aliens whose work is superior to that of licensed contractors. The issue is legality -- which is something only you can assess. You have already had substandard work done at your property -- in your opinion, and the opinion of the local building inspector. That's something you can remedy under the contract, or pay someone else to repair and sue to recover against the original contractor.

Using unlawful workers can subject the contractor to fines from the CSLB -- which is why I'm not sure why he/she is telling you that it could give the contractor the right to walk away from the job. The sort of proof you are requiring costs the contractor little or nothing, and workers' compensation insurance is a requirement for employees. None of these things would permit the contractor to quit the job -- legally. Practically, however, if the contractor finds himself losing a lot of money in the deal, then he may walk away, simply because he cannot afford to finish the job. This is more likely what the investigator is referring to -- not to the contractor's legal right to walk off the job. The contractor has no legal right to walk away -- at least not without being liable for your damages.

A: People do unlawful things all the time, every day, and they get away with it, as long as no one can stop them. Many illegal workers are better at their work than their legally licensed counterparts. Construction craft is as much an art as it is a job -- and, a license is no guarantee of fine workmanship. You have to decide whether or not you can reach a settlement with the contractor, or whether you will fire that person, hire someone else, and sue for the difference. Ultimately, those are your options. The CSLB will enforce license regulations -- but, that won't necessarily get you the best quality job. The best workers produce the best work, and in the real world, the best workers are not always licensed, legal workers.

WOULD IT BE UNLAWFUL FOR ME TO XXXXX WORKERS SPEAK ENGLISH OR HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE ENGLISH IN ORDER THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM DIRECTLY FOR SAFETY SAKE?

A: No. But, you have to decide your appetite for risk. Everything is risky. Sometimes you have to accept risk in order to obtain a benefit. The question, at least in my opinion, is whether or not the contractor can produce a quality job. To me, nothing else matters. That's something you must determine, and if you believe the contractor cannot do so, then you need a different contractor.

A: No, it would be entirely legal. However, be aware that many illegal workers have fake identification. So, that doesn't mean that the workers are legal. If you are really worried about the workers who arer at your home, then you can contact Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and request an investigation. ICE is the only government agency that can actually deal with illegal workers.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are great!!I have one more question. I know that there are agencies to protect seniors from domestic abuse. But are there any agencies out there that specifically look out for seniors who are at risk for being scammed and taken advantage by unscrupulous businesses. if so how can i contact them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are there any agencies out there that specifically focuses on helping senior citizens who have been scammed, cheated and taken advantage of by unscrupulous individuals and/or businesses?
The only government agency focused on elders is Adult Protective Services (APS). However, APS is focused on elderly persons who are having mental and physical challenges, which result in their being exploited.

You don't appear, from your writing, to be having those kinds of challenges. However, you can certainly contact APS and see what they say.

Other than APS, if you believe that the contractor is exploiting you because of your age or some infirmity, then you can either contact your local district attorney's office, or hire a private lawyer and sue the contractor.

I understand your annoyance, but this issue is probably something that you are going to have to either negotiate with the contractor, or hire a lawyer to handle.

Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In 2010 I was suffering with severe mental health issues. It was affecting my ability to concentrate, focus, organize my thoughts and comprehend I had extreme difficulty articulating and following instruction. I could not sleep at night and hardly ever left my house.

I have made improvements since then but I am still under the care of my doctor and therapist. I still have episodes of panic attacks as result of overwhelming fear that I have that CSLB will find a reason to dismiss my case in favor of the contractor I am unable to sleep at night as result of this and other issues in my life I have been trying to deal with. This situation with my contractor has caused some set back

There is no way possible that I would have been able to express my concerns the way I am able to now. even though I have made improvements through professional help does that mean that I would not be able to use the state of my mental health at the time the contractor lied to me and took advantage of me?
A contract can be declared void for lack of legal capacity in a party. Once the contract is invalidated, the vendor is entitled to compensation for the value of any benefit received by the buyer, and the buyer is entitled to the return of any consideration already paid, minus the value of the compensation to the vendor.

The point is that you are way too deep into this contract to have a court simply declare it void, without consequence to either party. Moreover, proving that you were legally incapacitated at the time that the contract was made could cost you a fortune in legal expenses. Hiring a physician to testify as an expert witness about your mental health, plus the cost of a trial could run you $10,000 on top of what you would have expended in legal fees to pursue a less costly legal theory.

I don't think that this is a practical route for you. Regardless, I'm also not a mental health professional, so asking me questions in an effort to assist you in getting a better night's sleep is probably a mistake. I can explain the law, and that knowledge may help you feel less anxious -- but, I'm no substitute for a professional who can directly address your mental health challenges.

I'm not trying to push you away, here. I just want to make certain you're talking to the right person about your particular concern -- and I get the feeling that we're starting to drift off into a completely different issue, about which I am not competent to assist you.

Sleep well tonight.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again thank you for your expert advice. I'm not drifting away. Because the issue of mental instibility came up. I thought maybe there was some other help that I might be able to get. You told me what I needed to know.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 12 months ago.
Okay, just making sure you get the best possible answers. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was presented with two forms to sign by an agency that provides behavioral services for a child with autism. The first form is asking who is the responsible party for the child receiving the services. I put my information and signed and dated the form. I am the child's only caregiver. Later I found out that responsible party meant the person who is going to pay for the services if the insurance provider does not. This was not explained on the form that I signed. Is it legal to revoke my signature or can I request that the form be destroyed because I am in total disagreeance. I feel like I was tricked.

The second form is a form that has information explaining that I agree to pay for any and all services that insurance does not cover. This form I did not sign because I do not agree.

It seems that signing any one of the forms makes me responsible to pay for anything my child's insurance does not cover.

I want to revoke my signature immediately.

What should I do? Thank you for your time and attention.
Hello again,

Just send the agency a letter stating that you are rescinding your application for services, effective immediately. You don't need to explain why. You do need to make sure you have the proper contact address/information of the person who is in charge of approving services for applicants. This may require some waiting on hold and pushing to get to the person in charge.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you so much for your response. I hope it is ok if i give you a bonus on August 2, 2013.
Considering I've had customers demand a refund two years after paying a bonus, in the past, I'd say that your offer is just fine with me!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
IT IS SAID THAT APPROX. 90% OF INDIVIDUALS WHO WIN THEIR CASES DO NOT GET THE MONEY THAT WAS GRANTED BY THE COURT FROM THE DEFENDENT . WHAT DOES AN INDIVIDUAL HAVE TO DO TO ENSURE THAT THEY ARE COMPENSATED? WOULD THEY HAVE TO HIRE A P.I. TO TRACK DOWN THEIR ASSETS? ONCE THAT IS DONE WHAT HAS TO BE DONE IN ORDER TO CLAIM THE ASSETS?
The reason that most judgment creditors do not get paid is because the judgment debtor has no assets or income with which to satisfy the debt. Frequently, this means that the debtor will file for bankruptcy. When that happens, the creditor is simply "SOL." Bankruptcy trumps any judgment for an ordinary debt.

A private investigator is rarely necessary to collect a debt -- because if the debtor has so few assets that they cannot be located easily, then paying a PI to find other assets is likely to cost more than the assets discovered in the process.

Collections attorneys learn when a case is a "net loser." Small business contractors/builders very frequently are working hand to mouth and have no net worth -- making them a very big risk. However, a licensed contractor has a bond filed with the CSLB, and if you were to sue the contractor, you can sue the surety on the bond, and get at least that much. Check with the CSLB to see how much the contractor's bond is worth -- because that may be the maximum you can recover in court.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
LETS SAY THAT I DISCOVERED THAT THE CONTRACTP\OR HAS PROPERTY IN HIS NAME AND HAS NOT FILED BANKRUPTCY. HOW WOULD I MAKE A CLAIM ON HIS PROPERTY?
Once you have a judgment from the court for breach of contract, you have the court clerk issue a writ of execution (EJ-130), and then you instruct the sheriff using the writ to seize the property and sell it at public auction to cover your debt.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
bonus pending. I am disabled and have athritis. I have difficulty standing and sitting for even short periods of time depending on how intense then pain is. I have to help my grandhild enroll in middle school and I need accommodation because of the long lines and the heat as well. I went to the school office and asked for accommodation. I was told tbat I could go straight to the office and fill out the papers there. I thought that I might be able to take the papers home to fill out and bring them back but that option was not offered.

After the office clerk told me what they could do for me, I was told not to tell anyone else. I do not feel comfortable with this . the year before a woman who was disabled was about to faint in that long line and it was very hot. The fact that the school wants to keep it secret that they are accommodating me to keep from helping others who need it sound like disability discrimination to me . I am severely bothered by this. this is wrong. Even though I am not an employee of the scchool. can I file a formal complaint against the school for trying to involve me in their unwillingness to help other disabled individuals who may need accommodation? what can I do
Expert:  socrateaser replied 11 months ago.
The California Unruh Civil Rights Act requires that all government faclities provide reasonable accommodations to the disabled. Assuming that it is found that the school administrator's comments are intended to discriminate against other disabled persons, then that would be a valid complaint, which you could make to the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH).

That said, please permit me to provide a judicial viewpoint. The fact that the administrator asked you not to tell anyone else, could have reasonably meant, not to tell anyone who is not disabled -- because that would start a disturbance among others who are forced to wait -- and the school doesn't want the hassle.

The point is that you may view this one way, but in court, the judge would be looking at it from each side, and I can pretty much guarantee that the school would argue as I have just suggested, in an effort to try to make your complaint appear to be based upon a misunderstanding, rather than any sort of discriminatory motive.

But, you can certainly file a complaint and see where it goes.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i went to the movies and as i was entering the ticket person demanded to look in my purse to see if i was bringing any outside food or drinks . i was hesitant but i allowed him to look through my purse. i felt very uncomfortable afterwards. i felt that my right to privacy had been violated. would it have been unlawful for me to say "no" ? Do they reserve the right to put me out of the theater if i had refused? often females have personal items in their purse this could be very embarrassing.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i do not need to respond to your previous response. I am satisfied with your answer. I would however like four you to respond to my experience at the movies with the attendant demanding to look into my purse

I'll be happy to answer this new question. However, per website policy you must start a new Q&A session, because your new question is unrelated to the original question in this Q&A session.

Just start a new Q&A with this new question and start the text with: "This question is for socrateaser and only socrateaser" -- and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.