LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

California Workers Comp.; My Judge, Vacated Submission”; 3

California Worker’s Comp.; My Judge, Vacated Submission”; 3 weeks after the Trial; what does that mean? This was a permanent disability rating trial; the Judge issued an order vacating submission; and referred the matter to DEU. What does that mean?

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I am guessing that you are not represented by an attorney. In this case, it appears that the judge is perhaps looking out for your best interest in sending this out---because if only the doctor for the insurance company submitted a rating report---it generally is not in your favor.

Quite simply, the judge decided not to make an order regarding a permanent disability for some reason, and has now referred the matter to the Disability Evaluation Unit (DEU) for this unit to determine permanent disability ratings by evaluating the physician's medical descriptions of physical and mental impairment. These determinations are then used by workers' compensation administrative law judges, injured workers and insurance claims administrators to determine permanent disability benefits. The DEU prepares three types of ratings:

1. A formal rating, done at the request of a workers' compensation judge,
2. On a consulting basis at the request of your attorney, or
3. In the absence of a litigated workers' compensation case, at the request of a claims administrator, or the injured party themselves.

Here is a link to the law allowing a referral to this Unit:

Finally, here is some information about what can happen following the evaluation done by the state evaluation unit:

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, . It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.