Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am seeking to hire a lawyer and not sure if i have a case.

I worked for a Fortune 50 company for 13 years and was hired by another Fortune 50 company and once I was hired I was told they wanted full disclosure and wanted sensitive information. It has been 5 years since I was hired by the new company. I did have access to sensitive data and proprietary information.

Do I have a case against my current employer?

Will I be prosecuted by former employer?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Is your former employer aware that you disclosed sensitive and proprietary information?

Did your employer 'force you' to give them this information through threatening you with termination?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the response.

My former employer is not aware and current employer stated after I was hired they require full disclosure now that I am hired. They arranged conference calls and many emails from the corporate office looking for proprietary information. I still have the emails and really it has become an issue because I feel bad and recently a managing director made a comment after introducing me to his spouse that I was hired to check what the competition was up to.

Would statute of limitations be 3 years?

Yes, the statute of limitations would be three years. So your former employer would not be able to sue you for disclosing the information.

However, this also means that you wouldn't have a cause of action against your current employer for having you disclose proprietary information, since it was over three years ago as well (if it was soon after you were hired).