LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

I work for a company that has a competitor with a very similar

I work for a company that has a competitor with a very similar name, which we were first with. Is it illegal to insinuate to their customers that they need to change the contact information to ours?

Good afternoon Carmen,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

There is nothing to prevent you from telling customers that contact you that they should change their contact number if they want to continue working with you. That is legal, even if they call you thinking that you are the other company.

You may not, however, tell them that your company is the other company.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Carmen. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.