Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I work for goodwill of the greater eastbay. If the store you

I work for goodwill of the greater eastbay. If the store you work in makes its monthly financial goal, and a couple other requirments each worker in that store receives a $250.00 bonus the following month. We still haven't received our bonus for May which we were supposed to receive in June. Is this ok. They seem to issue bonuses we earn when they feel like it
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  EmplmntLaw1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. I have a couple preliminary questions for you. First, what state are you located in? and do you have a written policy, procedure of handbook for the payment of these bonuses and, if so, does it dictate when bonuses are to be paid and the criteria for the same?

Please provide me this information and I'll get you an answer asap. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California. Yes its in thier employee handbook. We receive the bonus the month after we earn it. Example we earned our bonus for may, we receive it in june. But we havent gotten it yet
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello. The previous expert who answered your question is not a California Employment Law expert, so I will be assisting you further.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

If the bonus is in the employee handbook, then it would qualify as a non-discretionary bonus, and would be owed to you for the store fulfilling the objectives that are mentioned in the handbook.

If your employer fails to give you the bonus that it is obligated to, then you can file a wage claim or breach of contract claim against your employer for failing to deliver the bonus that it has obligated itself to give you due to the employment contract.

However, unless there is a statement in the employee handbook that your employer has to deliver the bonus at a certain time, there is nothing illegal about your employer paying you the bonus at a later date.

You can file a wage claim using the information available online here:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm

Since my goal is to provide you with the best service today, please don’t hesitate to ask me any follow up questions you may have.

If you don’t have any, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any clarification or have any questions about the information that I supplied to you above.

If you don't have any further questions or need any additional information, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work.

If you don't rate my answer, the website recoups your entire deposit and I get nothing for assisting you. Trust me when I tell you I need the money WAY more than they do, so I would greatly appreciate if you accept my answer!

Thanks and best of luck!
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management