LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

i did not showed up to work due to illness but did not go to

Customer Question

i did not showed up to work due to illness but did not go to the doctors office just needed bed rest I was suspended and then terminated from work. i filed unemployment but was denied the reason being "absent without permission" misconduct under 1256 in california. im appealing the ruling and have a hearing next week and need advice to help me get the ruling in my favor
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am very sorry to hear that you were let go and subsequently denied unemployment benefits. I have a few questions for you before I provide an answer:

- Did you notify your employer in advance that you were not going to be showing up, and if so, how far in advance?

- Did your employer have a formal policy regarding calling in sick?

- Was your absence the result of a chronic condition or disability for which there are medical records?

- Do you have any proof of the illness?

Answers to these questions will allow me to most effectively address your concerns. I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i notified my work before my shift started and stated i couldnt go in so my supervisor told me to come in the second shift but didnt due to bowel movement

Thank you so much for your reply. Can you please address my other questions as well?