Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

We are based in Los Angeles, CA. We have a current situation

We are based in Los Angeles, CA. We have a current situation in our company where our employees are being called in by our competitor to join them. Is there a law against pirating employees?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Ufnortunately, there is no law against pirating employees. Moreover, California law strongly disfavors any sort of contract or agreement that has the effect of restricting an individual's ability to engage in a trade or lawful profession, so even if the employees receiving calls had signed non-compete agreements, those agreements would be void and unenforceable as a matter of law. (See Business & Professions Code 16600).

I realize that the law is not entirely in your favor here and I am truly sorry to have to deliver bad news. Nonetheless, I trust that you will appreciate an accurate explanation of the law and realize that it would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.