LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

Been working for a restaurant since March

Customer Question

Hi, I've been working for a restaurant since March located in SF and Oakland. I've been working in Oakland since May 5th. They require 4 days unpaid training, and weekly unpaid classes on Wednesdays from 10 pm til midnight. In the San Francisco location they just started taking credit cards and are skimming out credit card tips. In the Oakland location, we are not receiving our server tips. In SF servers tip us directly. Also, I just got on payroll in Oakland this week and I think I've been shorted in my paycheck.

On Saturday June 1st, I counted $75 in cash tips and $70 in credit card tips (from two of the 3 bartenders). When I came to collect my tips on Sunday, I was given $30. I was supposed to receive more tips because they are divided by hours and I worked the most hours. When I kept pressing the issue they admitted I was not given my credit card tips and gave me $11. Since when is a third of $70 $11?

There were 3 people working and two of us worked more 

Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I understand the facts as you have explained them, but I am unclear on what it is that you need to know. What is it that you want to accomplish?
2. Are these training classes voluntary?
3. Are these classes directly related to allowing you to do your present job more effectively?

Doug