California Employment Law
Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.
1. In the event my employment is terminated, am I entitled to collect unemployment insurance?
2. I feel that I have been unfairly targeted by management for some reason. Can I make a harassment claim? If so, to whom would I file that claim?
3. My job is physically demanding. It sounds odd because I sit in a chair most of the day, but sitting in static positions for long periods of time is taxing on the lower back and repetitive motions with my right hand/arm due the nature of cleaning teeth becomes difficult as well. My chiropractor has told me that it is likely that I have musculo-skeletal issues due to my job and that not taking appropriate break periods only exacerbates the issue. Should I consider making a claim for disability insurance?
4. In general, what techniques can I use to protect my job, even though it is clear management is trying to jeopardize it?
Thank you so much for your responses. I have some follow up questions for you:
5. I realize each case is unique, but in your experience, which type of benefits are more stable or last longer, unemployment or workers compensation?
6. How would I go about filing a workers compensation claim?
I understand. I appreciate your honesty. I do not believe I have a permanent injury. But, I do believe I have three distinct and legitimate claims; discrimination (there are two people of color in the office, me being one, and we have both been subjected to the same treatment by management); workers compensation due to my ongoing injury; and unemployment when they decide to terminate my employment, which I believe is a forgone conclusion. I'm trying to determine which one or combination thereof will give me the most flexibility and ability to maintain my standard of living. In your opinion, which is the optimal route to take?
You have been extremely helpful. Thank you so much for your guidance and enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Thank you, Melissa; very happy to help!
Please remember to rate my answers positively so I get credit for my work!
Have a great rest of the weekend yourself too!