California Employment Law
Have California Employment Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer.
1. In the event my employment is terminated, am I entitled to collect unemployment insurance?
2. I feel that I have been unfairly targeted by management for some reason. Can I make a harassment claim? If so, to whom would I file that claim?
3. My job is physically demanding. It sounds odd because I sit in a chair most of the day, but sitting in static positions for long periods of time is taxing on the lower back and repetitive motions with my right hand/arm due the nature of cleaning teeth becomes difficult as well. My chiropractor has told me that it is likely that I have musculo-skeletal issues due to my job and that not taking appropriate break periods only exacerbates the issue. Should I consider making a claim for disability insurance?
4. In general, what techniques can I use to protect my job, even though it is clear management is trying to jeopardize it?
Thank you so much for your responses. I have some follow up questions for you:
5. I realize each case is unique, but in your experience, which type of benefits are more stable or last longer, unemployment or workers compensation?
6. How would I go about filing a workers compensation claim?
I understand. I appreciate your honesty. I do not believe I have a permanent injury. But, I do believe I have three distinct and legitimate claims; discrimination (there are two people of color in the office, me being one, and we have both been subjected to the same treatment by management); workers compensation due to my ongoing injury; and unemployment when they decide to terminate my employment, which I believe is a forgone conclusion. I'm trying to determine which one or combination thereof will give me the most flexibility and ability to maintain my standard of living. In your opinion, which is the optimal route to take?
You have been extremely helpful. Thank you so much for your guidance and enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Thank you, Melissa; very happy to help!
Please remember to rate my answers positively so I get credit for my work!
Have a great rest of the weekend yourself too!
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).