Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

My wifes employer has constantly been egging her to divorce

My wife's employer has constantly been egging her to divorce me for about three years -- surely that is in violation of some sort of labor law?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Can you tell me if your wife's employer is male or female and whether he or she is sexually harassing your wife on top of trying to convince her to divorce you?

Has your wife told her employer to stop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My wife is a female.

Her employer is a female.

My wife is her nanny.

She is the CEO of a $5 million/year company. She is not sexually harassing my wife, though a person unknown in the household (likely a nasty adolescent girl) left a condom in her purse at one point.

I am unsure as to how strenuously my wife has objected to this behavior, not only from the boss but also her oldest daughter. The woman and her husband, I understand, have arranged that in the event of their death a lot of money and responsibility for their children goes to my wife, whom the woman considers her "mom".

Hello Jeffrey, Unfortunately, no violation of any labor code is being committed by your wife's employer egging her to divorce you.

While employers should respect their employee's personal lives and not intrude into them, unless sexual harassment were also occurring, there is nothing illegal about her actions. (It would be illegal if she were to try to force your wife to divorce you by telling your wife that she will fire her or reduce her pay as a result).

However, if she is making and false and damaging statements about you to your wife to try to cause her to divorce you, you would have a claim against her for defamation for making those false statements. Although, if she is just telling your wife her opinions, while unethical and inconsiderate, her behavior is not illegal and doesn't give rise to any cause of action.

I realize this isn't the news you wanted to hear, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you (as I would like this type of behavior to be illegal as well), but I hope you appreciate my direct and honest response as it would be unprofessional of me to provide you with anything less.

Since my goal is to provide you with the best service today, please don't hesitate to request any additional information or ask me your follow up questions. If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

Thanks and best of luck!