Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I have a small business with 4 people on the payroll including

Customer Question

I have a small business with 4 people on the payroll including myself.
In regard to paid vacation / sick days:
The annual allowence is 10 vacation paid days and 5 sick paid days. This allowence is stated in the employment agreement and company employee guide.
Questions:
1. Is there a distinction between paid vacation and paid sick or are they allconsidered personal days.
2. Right now I allow a roll over of unused paid vacation but they can't roll over / accrue paid sick time. Am I doing the right thing.
3. Recently, an employee under financial hardship masked to and I agreed to pay him his accrued vacation (additional paycheck). Did I do the right thing & again can I do it with sick days to futher help him or there is a distiction here.
4. Any additional facts that I need to be aware of in this regard.
Thank you.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

1. As the employer, any distinction would be yours to make, but paid vacation and paid sick time are all considered paid time off. This generally makes them personal days, but you are definitely within your rights to require some type of verification for sick days if you would like. You can group your paid vacation and sick days together to simplify the policy and give your employees up to 15 paid days off a year for sick days or vacation.

2. No, unfortunately, if you are offering paid time off, it is considered a wage that is earned for sick days or vacation days, so you cannot eliminate the days from the employee without paying them for their unused time.

However, it is perfectly legal to cap the accrual of sick time and/or vacation time at a certain amount, at which point the employee will not continue to accrue sick days until he or she uses a sick day.

So, you can cap the accrual of sick days at 5 days and require employees to use a sick day before accruing more (up to 5), you just cannot eliminate days that are in the employee's vacation or sick day 'bank.'

3. It is entirely up to you to pay an employee accrued vacation or sick days during the time of employment. There is no distinction between paying out vacation or sick days and you can pay our the accrual of both. It is also extremely nice of you to do so and help your employee out of his financial hardship.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please do not hesitate to ask for additional information or to ask any follow up questions, as I want to provide the best service possible.

If you don't have any, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

Thanks and best of luck!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Let me see if I'm understanding you correct:

1. If the employee reached his roll over date with unused paid vacation or sick which are legally the same those can't be eliminated and must be allowed / paid in added gross instead.

2. It is legal to cap the accrual of paid personal days. A cap will be valid regardless of the length of employment. Any additional accrual will depend on consumption and the replenishment will be to the level of the cap only. In other words a cap will override the allowence if the allowence is not used.

3. If the above is correct. How do I legaly establish a cap. Make changes to the employemnt guide that I use? Notify the employees?

4. Would a cap of 15 days be legal in my situation.

Expert:  Joseph replied 10 months ago.
1. Yes, PTO days cannot be eliminated once accrued, but you could cap them to prevent additional accrual. You are not obligated to pay them in added gross, but can leave them in the employees' bank of paid time off.

2. Yes, caps are legal, but it is illegal to eliminate days through not allowing for 'foll over.'

3. Yes, assuming your employees are at-will employees, you can notify them immediately of the change and implement it. You can then change the employment guide that you use to update your policies.

4. Yes, since you are not legally obligated to provide your employees with any PTO, you can definitely cap it at 15 days or any number of days you decide.

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Expert:  Joseph replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service!

Please contact me on JustAnswer should you have any further legal issues.

You can contact me by placing ‘To Joseph’ at the beginning of your question and/or requesting me directly in the California Employment Law category.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please rate me highly (9-10)! High customer satisfaction scores ensure that I will continue to provide you and other customers with excellent service and they are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again and best of luck!