socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Hello - I was hired from a NY firm to a CA firm with the promise

Hello - I was hired from a NY firm to a CA firm with the promise that there was 'tons and tons of work'. There was none I learned, and less than a year later I was laid off. Meanwhile, during other lay-offs I received e-mails from corporate leadership saying my position was secure, that I was a strategic hire, and that the lay-offs would not impact me (3 rounds of them since last Nov). Because I felt safe due to their telling me I was indeed safe, I even started construction of a pool (a lot of cash outlay). A month later I was cut. While I was at-will, this appears to violate CA labor code 970-977 where by I was pulled from gainful employment with false representations of work. I never would have left gainful employment without buying into the apparent lies they used to convince me to come to their firm.....never. If this is indeed a violation of the code, where could I complain? Oh - out of all this I was offered 2 weeks severance....

What you complain of is indeed a violation of the Labor Code. However, it is not an easy claim to bring, because as with any claim of fraud/misrepresentation, accumulating the required evidence is usually very difficult to produce.

You have the option of hiring a labor/employment rights lawyer and suing the employer in civil court, under Labor Code 972, or you can file a complaint with the DLSE BOFE.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.