Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I am a W2 employee in New York of a California-based company.

Customer Question

I am a W2 employee in New York of a California-based company. My colleague and I get a draw salary of $8,000 per month. Employer stopped paying my partner's draw then asked him to pay back the difference between the draw he received versus the commission he generated. Does he need to pay the employer back the difference? I heard the employer can not ask an employee to pay back a draw salary in NY...
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Do you know if your friend (or you) signed a promissory note or any other agreement that states that you have to pay back the portion of the unearned draw?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We signed an employment agreement that talks about it in vague terms. I can probably get you a copy.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alan,

It would be very helpful for me in answering your question if you do so. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I send through a 7 page pdf document?

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alan,

You can try attaching it through the paperclip icon. If you aren't able to attach it, if you can try to divide i into one or two page documents that may enable it to go through.

The alternative would be to cut and paste the document if you can. You can focus on the clause(s) related to the draw.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't attach the file or cut and paste from a pdf. Very frustrating. can you suggest any alternative solution?

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Other than contacting customer service, I cannot really think of one.

I know there are programs (like nitro and something through adobe) that can make pdf documents into word docs, but I think they all ocst something.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alan,

I should be able to provide you with the requested information without you attaching the agreement.

You are correct. An employer cannot require that an employee repay any portion of an unearned draw. A draw can only be reconciled against future commissions and employees who leave this type of employment are not required to repay the draw received.

Please see this site for additional information:

http://www.labor.ny.gov/legal/counsel/pdf/payment-of-commissions-frequently-asked-questions.pdf

I hope the above information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional information.

Thanks and best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forwarded the full contract to XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and they will forward to you.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alan,

My analysis above applies as long as the money that was advanced is considered a draw against commissions, which absent any other indicators, it definitely should be.

Did the employer term it as such?

If not, there could be an issue with the employer claiming that the draw was an 'unsecured loan.' If they called it an unsecured loan, and a promissory note was written for it, then the employer would be able to require repayment of the 'loan' through section 4(c) of the agreement.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Hello Alan,

Please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

If you don't rate me positively the website recoups your entire deposit and I get nothing for assisting you. Since I need the money way more than they do, please rate my answer positively!

Again, if you need any follow up information or have any follow up questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks again and best of luck!

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if there are any follow up questions I can answer or additional information I can provide to get you to positively rate my answer.

Thanks again and best of luck!