socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My former employee refused to pay for legal fees involved in

My former employee refused to pay for legal fees involved in a suit against the company when I was employed there. I paid my own attorney fees. I read the California Labor Law and they way I read the law the have to defend you or pay your legal fees. They are refusing to pay. How do I recover those fees. Also I was the only one of the people named in the law suit they did not defend

Cal. Labor Code 2802 requires the employer to pay the expenses of any employee incurred within the scope of employment. If your employer won't pay, you file a wage claim with the DLSE (click here).

Hope this helps.