Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
69271599

California Law- If an employee does training on their own

California Law- If an employee does training on their own time but on company property and uses company resources, does the employeer still have to pay the employee? Thanks
It completely depends on the type of training and whether or not it was requested by the company. If the company requires you to do the training yet tells you that you need to do it unpaid, then you have a wage claim against the company for all hours worked. However, if you are doing the training in order to be better at your job, not at the request of the company, then you would not be entitled to that time. The California DLSE requires that an employee be paid for all "Hours worked." They state that "Hours worked means the time which an employee is subject to the control of an employer, and includes all the time the employee is suffered or permitted to work, whether or not required to do so." So, under California law it is only necessary that you be subject to the control of the employer in order to be entitled to compensation. So, in short, if the company has requested that you do this training, regardless of when, then you are entitled to be paid for this time.

If this is the case, then you can definitely file an unpaid wage claim here:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.