LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

Im a probationary Firefighter in California, I was injured

Im a probationary Firefighter in California, I was injured on a fire and im currently off on workmans comp. Can my probation period be extended because of the time off?
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As a general rule, the majority of cities in CA have a rule that allows for the extension of a firefighter's probationary period if that firefighter is injured, and the period of their illness or injury disability preventing them from working exceeds 30 days, then the probation is extended for the same period of time they are out..

Here is a the language of a typical Municipal Code, Civil Service Rules: Continuance of Probation. In the event of injury, illness, or other authorized leaves of absence in excess of 30 days or 216 hours, excluding absences for regularly scheduled vacations, the probationary period for entry-level positions shall be continued for the same number of days or hours the employee is excessively absent from his or her regularly assigned duties.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the speedy answer and information.

Good afternoon

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, John. I do empathize with your dilemma, and the setback that the extension of your probationary period constitutes. I do hope that you make a full recovery quickly. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again, and thank you for your service as a First Responder!

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.