Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I recently left a company for another job. In the exit interview,

I recently left a company for another job. In the exit interview, which I was told was confidential, I was asked if I witnessed any theft while working there. I answered No - with the exception of one person not working their whole shift but reporting on their time sheets as if they were there the whole time and that this was reported to the owner a couple times. I found out that even though I didn't mention the coworker in question by name he was told I complained about him in my exit interview. He told someone else that 'he would have a few choice words for me if he ever say me again'. I feel very threatened because he is a gun owner and somewhat unstable. What should I do? Do I have any recourse?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, your recourse would be very limited in this case. Even though you were told that the interview was confidential and your employer violated that confidentiality, it doesn't mean that there was a right to privacy violation.

Additionally, it would be hard to prove your damages in this regards. Simply put, your co-workers statement about having a few choice words for you is not actually a threat on your physical health and safety (he is just stating he'd curse you out if he saw you again). Although he's a gun owner and unstable, that also really isn't enough to get you any damages here, or even a restraining order.

Additionally, since you hear this from another party, there is a substantial hearsay issue, since he didn't make the threat directly to you, and you must have heard from another party that your ex-employer notified you in the first place.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.

Since my goal is to provide you with the best service possible, please let me know if you have any additional questions or need any additional information.

Thanks and best of luck!