LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

i need to appeal a decision of willful overpayment for unemployment

Customer Question

i need to appeal a decision of willful overpayment for unemployment benefits the former employer said i truly quit. he truly sabatoged my employment, and told me verbally that he had no hours to sustain my employment. can an employer, employ you under false promise of a set minimum guaranteed hours and then turn around and say he never guaranteed work weekly, and said the terms were always 0-20 hours.

should a person lose unemployment benefits when offered employment that was unsustainful? I feel like what I'm hearing is that I couldn't keep benefits I needed and qualified for because someone hired me and never intended to fulfill their contract, they actually tried to get me to quit and even told my unemployment that i truly abandoned my job. yet i did not/ he would not try to resolve the issues that arised. I later learned he never did documents for new hire that you legally have to for tax purposes and to not be taken advantage of. so it seems like things happened to cover his tracks after, like he thought i would sue, him/ i just wanted to work and now im accused of something i didnt do that i was made to appear telephonically to do trial for, and was not prepared for because i appealed within my timeframe of 10 days to the hearing examiners and was later still told to do court unprepared.

was an offer for 0-20, which turned into 8 hours weekly(and i was told it was a conflict of interest to get any other work for my profession, so i couldnt try to get other work that i was offered when i wasnt working for this retail store
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thats ok, i do not need your assistance. thank you anyhow. Have a good day!