LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I went off my job due to the work environment being hostile

Customer Question

I went off my job due to the work environment being hostile and very dangerous(I worked in a juvenile institution) My doctor said I suffer from extreme depression from my experience at work. I have been working for 23 years and am deciding to retire. However I feel that I am allowing the employer an out by not explaining the discrimination, threats, child abuse, and
fraud on time cards. The employer is LA County Probation. I was out for a year before any person of authority checked on me. This is a long story but I need help deciding to leave or return to work and file paperwork. We have a union but it is not know to help employees because of being afraid to speak up for someone because it may hurt votes.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. You say you went off your job. Are you out on work comp or state disability?
2. After a year, do you have a job to go back to?
3. If you return to the job, specifically what paperwork are you referring to that you would file?
4. Please explain what it is you would like to accomplish.

Doug