Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
69271599

My prior employer deducted wages earned and taxed from my pay,

My prior employer deducted wages earned and taxed from my pay, transferred to a union trust administrator, who in turn, transferred my pay to a bogus credit union in which I cannot join. I have been told my wages are being held as "vacation" & "holiday savings" to be dispersed twice per year. I no longer work for this employer and still cannot get my earned unpaid wages that the elecrtrical union is trying to classify as a "benefit paid by my employer". I worked a temporary assignment on a publicly funded measure A Measure k's school construction site with no collective bargaining agreement.

Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Brandon, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Employment-LawExpert :

Hello and thank you for your question today

Employment-LawExpert :

Are you online with me?

Employment-LawExpert :

First, let me say that I am terribly sorry to hear that you are having to go through this. Concerning your question, there is actually a relatively easy fix for this. Because there was no collective bargaining agreement, and because they are holding this as vacation pay, your employer was required to pay you the full amount upon no longer working for them. The amount paid to you must be equal to your final rate of pay and because they have not paid you, they are also required to pay you a waiting time penalty of your daily wages, up to 30 days of wages. All you will have to do is file a formal complaint with the DLSE. This can be done here:

Employment-LawExpert :

They will then start an investigation, and make sure that you get paid what you are owed.

Employment-LawExpert :

However, you mention that your employer deducted the wages. It is likely that what they did was in fact against the law. The only legitimate reasons why an employer can deduct wages can be found here:

Employment-LawExpert :

To be a benefit paid by your employer, it would have had to be signed off by you. As you did not do this, it cannot be categorized as this after the fact.

Employment-LawExpert :

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Employment-LawExpert :

Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.

Are you online with me?

Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Brandon, Esq., Lawyer