LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

Can I move to a client of my current company, I have signed

Customer Question

Can I move to a client of my current company, I have signed on the following and don't know if its affect or not:
Please note that the Client is not a competitor with my company, its just a client, and my company do business with them,

((During my term of employment and for a period of one year thereafter, regardless of the reason for termination, I will no directly, by myself or through any other entity or third party, solicit any customers, or employ or attempt to employ any person who is in the employ of my current company))
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Ayman,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If all you agreed to was an agreement not to solicit customers or employees form your company for a year after you leave, that would not prohibit you from going to work for anyone else.

So yes, under the law, you have the right to go to work for the client of your present company when you leave your present employment.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I can work for the client but not attempt to hire any employee of my current company, that's what this paragraph says?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Goo afternoon Ayman,

Yes that is what it says.

You can not seek to hire away other employees of the company, and you may not try to get the customers of your company to come to a new company that you might work for or even your own company if you start one. But you may work for a customer of your company as it is not prohibited in the agreement that you recited.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,