Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

i started a job two weeks before x mas and then 115hrs in january

i started a job two weeks before x mas and then 115hrs in january the job was fixing up a house to flip. there were about 6 other people that also worked there, now jack the guy who i worked for ran over his buget first two or three days into job we all worked for about a week or so and every one stopped until they got paid. everyone had just started working for jack. in short jack didnt pay anyone im aware of an i kept working and spent $500 on material from my pocket which was so i could keep working an jack was aware of this and keep telling me soon as i get job done i can pay you. in beging of feb. house was done but he said it had to sell before i got paid and let me tell you we had a few words. ive been around the block if you will also selfemployed most of my adult life. now in march i noticed house was sold and called jack about money to be told to f off and f you. wanted to no if there is anything i can do to get paid. i was hired as a emplee under jack all verble agreements dont no if anyone else got paid no numbers to contact them what can i do? also i have to leave for an about one hour so you no but will check back soon as i return thank you jeff. this happen in stockton dont no jacks last name but no were he lives his boss owns knights inn motel he buys the houses
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am very sorry to hear about your difficulty in getting paid.

Your employer has a lot of nerve. Not only should you be able to recover the wages you are owed, but this individual's apparently willful non-payment of wages likely constitutes a criminal offense. If you can prove the violation was willful, you may be entitled to DOUBLE your wages as a penalty for the willful non-payment. Since you were not paid immediately upon resolution of the job, you would be entitled to your regular daily rate of pay for each day of non-payment up to 30 days as an additional penalty.

Your employer may also be penalized for not keeping proper payroll records and providing incomplete pay stubs that do not document all hours worked.

All of this can be addressed by filing a claim with the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement. The DLSE will investigate your allegations and issue a judgment in your favor if it finds cause to do so. To file a wage claim with the DLSE, visit this link: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.

Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for you advise i have been working on a rental for the past month redoing it for my parents and have not had the time to take care of this situation and was thinking it might even be to late. this guy jack i thought was a contractor turns out dosent have a license he underbid two other jobs he showed me and the one i dam near finished for him until it was to a point were he could finish it what i mean by that is im an 17yr electrican an no all aspects off construction but not good in the leage aspect, but when electrical was down to putting on a few wall plates he told me if i see you around or at that house he would have me arrested. my problem is i have a suspended license for regestration an he new it so i had to stay clear. but anyways when im done working tonight i will check into labor thing an i am sure i will be getting back with you. also have another good one need to discuss about buying a oil filter last month from kragen parts guy told me the number for it which i never ask but there was no book on them anyway that filter aloud all the oil to come out of my engine i just put in car 6 months ago blew it up an the distric manager never even bothered returning my 3 calls .

Jeff,

I'm very sorry to hear about your car. That would be an appropriate inquiry for the general Legal category posed as a new question.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Kindest regards.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer