socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I was unable to attend a hearing due to a sick child. The labor

I was unable to attend a hearing due to a sick child. The labor board held the hearing without me even after I provided proof of doctors and prescriptions because the employee drove 8 hrs
The employee left San Diego county did not pick up her check or return the business key.
Now, I have an almost $4000. judgement to pay, is there anything I can do?

You have the right to file an appeal with the Superior Court. If you do, then you can have the entire case retried from scratch.

Here is a link to the appeal form (DLSE 537).

You have 10 days from the date that the notice was served on you. If it was served by USPS mail, then you have an additional 5 days to file the appeal. You must also serve a copy of your notice of appeal by mail on the Labor Commissioner.

Hope this helps.