Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I started my job six months ago, I have been put under a lot

I started my job six months ago, I have been put under a lot of stress and my manager micromanages and also is very rude that it makes it hard for me to approach her, every day I go to work is an uncomfortable feeling and I have felt so much tension, and bad headaches because of this. Can I see a doctor and be put on disability? She also denied for me to work 4.0 hours and told me I had to take a PTO day, I didn't understand being that I am a salary employee. She also asked another employee if she knows what time I get in the morning, because she feels I dont work a full day and i always have babysitting issues. My kids go to school 8-3pm I have never had babysitting issues. I want to meet with HR tomorrow and tell them how I feel. Can I qualify to go on disability? I also want to transfer to another dept asap!! She has never manages before and has no experience.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Other than stress, do you have any symptoms, such as insomnia, anxiety and/or depression?

Have you seen a doctor yet about the stress you're experiencing from work?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, I cant sleep at night. Im constantly thinking of how she makes me feel. Ive also noticed I am not happy, i dont know if thats being depressed. I do feel anxiety when I am there and I sit right behind her which makes it worse.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have an appointment tomorrow to see a Doctor.

Hello Erica,

Yes, if your doctor determines that you are unable to work due to the extent of the stress that you're experiencing, including anxiety and insomnia, then your doctor can an sign off on your disability paperwork and you will be able to collect disability.

However, contrary to popular belief, being on disability does not give you any form of job protection. Unless you also obtain FMLA leave or another form of protected leave, you can be terminated while you are out on disability.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

Thanks and best of luck!

Hello Erica,

Please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

Or, please ask me any follow up questions you have here.

If you don't rate my answer positively, I get nothing for assisting you and the website recoups your entire deposit, so I'd greatly appreciate your positive rating.

Thanks and best of luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I obtain fmla? Who will approve it? Should I bring up how my boss is making me feel in tomorrow's meeting? How she does not respond when I say good morning and is making me clock in and out when I'm an exempt employee

Hello Erica,

How many employees does your employer have? Is it more than 50?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes more than 50 maybe 300

Hello Erica,

While you would be able to receive FMLA leave, you have to work for your employer for at least 12 months in order to receive FMLA leave, so you wouldn't be eligible.

You still may receive job protection, however, if you qualify as a person with a disability under the ADA or FMLA and need time off for that reason.

However, based on the conditions that you've mentioned, it may be difficult for you to be considered disabled, since your conditions don't appear to majorly impair your life functioning in a significant enough way.

I definitely think that it's a better strategy to inform HR about your concerns. However, it's also important to note that your employer is not doing anything illegal by making you clock in and out even though you're salaried. As a salaried employee, your employer cannot make your wages contingent upon the number of hours that you work. But your employer is free to require you to clock in and out even if you are a salaried employee.

This is due to the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at
the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a
specified term means an employment for a period greater than one

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate direct and honest answers to your questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you I appreciate your respond! I would much rather be transferred to another dept than to work with her. Thank you again

Thanks Erica,

You should definitely ask HR to be transferred then.

Thanks again and best of luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You mentioned I have to be working for more than 12 months, I have two jobs one which I work weekends and have been there 3 years but I have no benefits it's a hospital, but my full time job is the one I am stressed at does fmla have to be from the full time job since where I am being stressed out?

Hello Erica,

Yes, unfortunately, FMLA needs to be from your full time job that would be causing you the stress, and not from your part time job that you've been working for three years.