Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

If I was terminated, am I obligated to sign paperwork for my

If I was terminated, am I obligated to sign paperwork for my employer?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am very sorry to hear that you were let go.

What sort of paperwork is your employer asking you to sign?

I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Some sort of "termination of relationship" papers. I am not sure what they are yet. Due to being terminated, I do not feel obligated to sign anything.

Sue,

Thank you very much for your reply. I don't blame you for wanting to sign anything, and fortunately the law does not require you to.

If your employer was requiring you to sign a release of some kind as a condition for receiving a severance check, that would be legal. Of course, you would still be free not to sign, you would just lose out on the severance, and that would be your prerogative.

As far as outright "forcing" you to sign something, however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. As I suspected! Your service has been excellent!

Thank you very much for the kind words, Sue. Have a great weekend and thank you again for coming to Just Answer!