Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am noticed that many Country Clubs in the area I live are

I am noticed that many Country Clubs in the area I live are reducing from hiring full-time employees (less than 30 hours) to avoid paying medical benefits. In fact, the clubs are encouraging to work for club A for 30 hours and work club b for 30 hours. Is this legal or a reality of corp companies finding ways to cut cost?
Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Unfortunately, Obamacare is indeed having the unintended consequence of causing many large companies to reduce the hours of full-time employees below 30 hours per week so as to avoid the healthcare mandate.

This practice is not illegal unless the affected employees have contracts or a collective bargaining agreement in place that specifically guarantees them more than 30 hours. Otherwise, since employment in the state of Calfiornia is "at will," the terms of employment--including hours--can be changed at any time for virtually any reason, even if the reason is to evade responsibility to pay healthcare costs.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.