Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Hello, I worked for a company which was in California, and

Customer Question

I worked for a company which was in California, and I live in NJ. My At Will agreement says the following about governing law :

A. Governing Law; Consent to Personal Jurisdiction. This Agreement will be
governed by the laws of the State of California. I hereby expressly consent to the personal
jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in California for any lawsuit filed there against me
by the Company arising from or relating to this Agreement.

That being said, I am thinking about working for a competitor. I was fired from my CA employer in April, and have since not found work. Do I have anything to worry about?

Some background : When I was let go, I innocently sent an email to a prospect just asking them that if they needed any help, to let me know. The company I worked for found out and filed a cease and desist letter, which I have abided by since. I have no intention of causing trouble, just making a living.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I believe I have answered this question for you in the past. Do you have anything new to relate or are you looking for a 'second' opinion?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is different request. I am asking if I CAN work at a competitor, since I was let go..

Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sam,

Non-compete agreements are completely unenforceable in California (pursuant to business and professions code section 16600), so you are entirely free to work for a competitor to the company.

The only thing you cannot do is to share or reveal tradesecrets, including any list of customers or clients that you have from your previous employer.

Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sam,

Please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

Thanks and best of luck!