LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

I am a nurse and work for a non-profit organization. I have

Customer Question

I am a nurse and work for a non-profit organization. I have worked there for 9 years. I had a medical issue and was out on disability from Feb 28th until approx april 15th. I returned to work and again the medical problem persisted and it landed my in the hospital June 15. My question is this: Since returning to work the End of November until now they have made it very difficult to work there. I am constantly being advised I am doing things incorrectly, and I am feeling I am diliberating being set up (have recent examples if needed later) and because I am a community liaison it is starting to effect my reputation in the community. Do I have any recourse if I quit and can I request unemployment secondary to my inability to continuing working at the company as it will effect my hiring to another company doing the same job? Also, please note, I now got my review for 2012. Be advised I got last years review on APril 17th 2012. I went out on disability June 15 until Nov 2?, 2012. My review for 2012 given on APRIL 17th, 2012, indicated I was in the top 10-15% in the company. Now I get my review for 2013 and I am receiving ones and twos on a scale of 1-5. I was told what a great job I was doing last year up until my disability and even though they had to terminate me after 5 months of disability, they kept telling me I could be rehired when I was ready to return. So they really only have 1 month left in year before my 2013 review needs to be completed. It is very obvious they are seeking my referral source contacts before they plan on letting me go. Thus why I want to see if I can quit before they ruin my reputation and I will not be able to seek work in this line of nursing.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Please let me know what question you have regarding your situation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't afford to just quit at this time. So my question is, if I quit can I collect unemployment until I find another job because they are creating a difficult work enviroment and I feel they are beginning to effect my reputation in the community and my expertise is as a community liaison Nurse. I feel if I stay with them much longer, they could ruin my reputation enough that no one will hire me. Not good in the current work force market....

Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Hello Darbi,

Could you also let me know if you were on FMLA leave or another form of protected leave while you were on disability?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to stop my request for an answer,. I am not satisified with the way this is going.. Thanks for your help but please don't charge my card as I did not really get any answer and I feel like I need to see an attorney in person. Again, thanks for you assistance, sorry it did not work out.

Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

I was only asking you for information to help provide you with a full answer, but I'll send this to customer service.

I did answer an earlier question for you. I would appreciate greatly if you like that answer, and please let me know if you reconsider. I was only asking a simple yes or no question, and can easily answer your question, plus provide you with additional information, if you answer that for me.