LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

If commision sales lose money do we have to pay it.

Customer Question

Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you saying that your salespeople are paid on a commission basis---perhaps a percentage of the amount collected for the sale of products----and that after the sale the employer has determined that the company lost money on those sales?

Or, are you asking whether you may establish a commission system that is based on payment of commissions for net earnings after sales---and thereby eliminate the obligation to pay a commission when the company has suffered a loss in making the sales?